question

Olivier Hendrikx avatar image
Olivier Hendrikx asked

Quattro no LED DC and AC good.

Switch on no led no reaction. No invertier no Charger. I measured the voltage at the Battery Input 13.4Volt, at the AC Input 230 volt 47HZ from the Generator. Is there a Fuse or a way to reset the Multi Quattro? It stopped working while I was starting the water maker. Nothing unusual the generstor was running. Inductive overload? Thank you for any help. Olivier

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Olivier Hendrikx avatar image Olivier Hendrikx commented ·

Problem solved and it was a bit tricky!

My Quattro was overloaded and it takes 5-15 Minutes for the inverter to cool down. Till then my Quattro just didn't react at all. I also was a bit afraid and didnt wait long enough time after switch it on for the LED's while I thought there could be a shortcut or something bad.

THE CAUSE:

My generator Frequency was a bit low 47Hz for a 50Hz System. Under full load it could happen that the inverter disconnected the generator and the inverter by himself was to weak for the load and went in overload mode.

I readjusted the frequency on my generator to 52Hz without load and now everything works like a charm like the last 5 years. Victron made very good products. I just didn't know about this 'dead overload recovery time' and got scared. Now i have a spare Multiplus 5000 for the new one. :-) since i ordered a new one to replace the 'broken' one.

Victron was very supportive and helopful Thank you guys you just rock!

Olivier Hendrikx

PS: I'm planning to integrate Victron products in my future system http://wwwinav4u.com

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ Olivier Hendrikx commented ·

Thanks for the update!

And keep us posted on 'Bob' :)

0 Likes 0 ·
6 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

You haven't said what the exact model inverter charger you have is, some have fuses and some don't.

First thing is to safely isolate and disconnect all connections except the DC input, especially the VE.Bus cable if there is one.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

Like Guy says, most of the time people come to me with these issues it's turned off on a remote panel or Venus device, so indeed unplug VE.bus cable first.

2 |3000

Olivier Hendrikx answered ·

Thank you I have a 12/5000 Quatro. Onan 7kW 230v 50Hz, 420 Ah 12v LiFePo battery. all network cables disconnected only 12 v on Quattro no reaction. No remote switch. The inverter was on and the generstor running. I started the water maker 2 kW and the inverter just vanished

2 |3000

I had an old master volt 2000w 12v. I replaced now the Quattro temporarily to have power and everything works fine also the water maker. I hope I can fix this issue myself here in French Polynesia. I live aboard a catamaran since 2009. Thank,you for any suggestion.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

if there's no service center in sight, I'd open the front panels and visually check things (check water damage first). (some older units do have fuses, don't know about the Quattro's.).

Try to make sharp pictures and post here if you need help.

0 Likes 0 ·
Olivier Hendrikx avatar image Olivier Hendrikx boekel ♦ commented ·

I opened the old inverter and I found few fuses hidden in the back . I checked them with the multimeter but they seems to be ok. I don't touch the new inverter since it is under warranty. They have both the same problem so I'm glad I have the old one to check. It looks like there is no power to the low voltage electronics, or the electronic is fried. If somebody know if there are other fuses inside the inverter it would help a lot. To send both inverters back will cost me more than 1000$ just for the transport plus waiting time. I don't want do this just to hear they just replaced a fuse. If not then I will have to send them back.

0 Likes 0 ·

To explain. I had a perfect working 12/5000 Quattro since 2012 no issues till Christmas 2018. Suddenly the overload was flashing on and off at about 2 Hz and before I had any chance to switch down some loads the quattro died. There was not much load on it and I didn't changed anything it just happened. The only change I made few days before was a software update via veconfig.

Ok I thought the Quattro is 6 years old and was on 24/7 and working perfect even with dive compressor and water maker running simultaneously and with generator support. So I replaced the Quattro temporarily with my old mastervolt 2000w backup inverter to keep the freezer running. Everything was running again. I ordered a new Quattro from France to Tahiti and about 3 weeks later I got it, installed it and I was happy again. About 2 weeks later the new one died with the same symptoms. I'm pissed off while the creepy mastervolt seems to do the task the more then twice bigger Victoria doesn' manage anymore.

There is no water or mechanical damage, it's a new unit and the second one dying? Nobody knows if there is a internal fuse to be replaced or how to proceed. i wrote to the vendor but no infos if there is a fuse and if then where. Next step will be to write to Victron or to call per skype to get a solution.

My nstallation is high quality and worked for 6 years. Beside software update and new batteries 6 Months ago no changes. I don't have cgx only blue panel that is not compatible with the new version of Quattro anymore. Connected to the new Quattro it was initializing all the time. Now no connection of course. I was able to do the setting using the mk2 and with the newest configure software.

Victron energy tells to start first with this blog, so I did it. Still hope to get some more infos how to proceed. Im a physics and develop hard and software so I have a professional background. I was hoping there is only a fuse to replace while the Quattro just don't responds at all.

I can assure the quattro was working in perfect conditions. No overload even if I calculate 6 times the water maker power as a start spike. There s also a tripfuse for the water maker start button, it is a echotec water maker. The pump runs smoothly even now with the mastervolt.

The settings on the Quattro was accurate and was working for about 2-3 weeks. The batteries almost full, checked cables and entry fuse which is only 250A instead of 500A. I thought if it blows up I can still replace it later. I have 230volt 25 A trip fuses at every AC output. There is protection everywhere. Must be something inside the inverter that blew up. Stil hope it's only a fuse. Maybe somebody can tell me. I have now two quattro with the same symptom, it starts to be expensive.

I appreciate any help support on any way.

THANK YOU

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Did you try your distributor? it sounds pretty dead.

what kind of batteries do you have? and other equipment?

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Oliver,

I am sorry to hear about your issues with the inverter. I hope you can get them sorted quickly.

You mentioned “Victron energy tells to start first with this blog, so I did it.”

I am curious where you saw that, really the best place to start first is the steps on this support page:

https://www.victronenergy.com/support

0 Likes 0 ·
Olivier Hendrikx avatar image Olivier Hendrikx Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Guy, I contacted the vendor but didn't got any useful information. I asked now where to send the two Quattros back for repair. Meanwhile I checked all my installation for bad contacts measuring also the resistance and checking for warm connectors. Everything seems normal and my tiny Mastervolt is working fine. i have to run the generstor three timEs longer to charge the batteries but I will survive. My be I get more infos from the repairs to get an idea what was the cause. For the moment I still think it is the new software update the cause for the failure.

Thank you for your response.

Olivier

0 Likes 0 ·
drmi avatar image
drmi answered ·

Are there some news concerning the old Quattro? I have the same situation with my (5 years old) Multiplus: Led OVERLOAD flashes and some time later the Multi is dead.

1. Have you found some fuses?

2. Where are they exactly?

3. Do you have photos?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic