question

lwitty avatar image
lwitty asked

Using an Orion 12/12 30A Isolated with an Existing Isolator?

I am in the process of switching out an AGM 400ah battery bank on a sailboat with LIFEPO4. I have already purchased the Orion 12/12 30A Isolated equipment to protect the alternator and ensure correct charging parameters supplied to the LIFEPO4.

Question - while planning the installation, I am thinking the best option is to simply wire the 'house' output of an existing isolator (manual here: http://files.eneq.webnode.gr/200000608-492664a1f2/isolator%201e-2ig.pdf) as the input to the Orion. Second output of the existing isolator will remain the same and go to the existing 100ah AGM starter battery. Any issues with doing this?

isolators
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

shawn0900 avatar image shawn0900 commented ·
I am doing the same thing right now. I have an ARGOFET isolator and was wondering if I can put the dc to dc converter on the house bank side of it. However, I guess that defeats the purpose of the isolator part of the converter. Is there just a dc to dc converter unit? No isolator.
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
lacadienne avatar image
lacadienne answered ·

While I do not see any reason why it would not work, I ended up taking the advice of the yard and upgraded to external Balmar regulators and bypassed the internal regulators on the 80A Hitachi alternators. It was probably 2X the cost.

Using this isolator https://www.promariner.com/en/23127

with two Balmar MC-614-H voltage regulators and upgraded wiring from alternators to the isolator

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lwitty avatar image lwitty commented ·

Seems like a great solution that will give you maximum amperage out of your alternators.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic