question

idunne avatar image
idunne asked

battery settings

i wil be fitting a victron orion-tr smart dc to dc 12-12-30 isolater ...the starter battery is a 12v varta sealed lead acid 100ah and 2 x 110ah leisure sealed lead acid batterys ..now in the victron connect app for battery settings it does not show sealed lead acid battery in drop down menu can anyone tell me which settings i should pick ......thanks

orion-tr smart
13 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

idunne avatar image idunne commented ·

tried online to get data sheet for platinum S6110L leisure batterys but they only seem to have safty spec and size mesurements none saying charge specs

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ idunne commented ·

It's a simple sealed lead acid battery. So from my experience you could safely use settings from other SLA batteries.

Suggestion:

Absorption voltage: 14.6V
Float voltage: 13.8V
Storage voltage: 13.2V

Depending on which battery you want to charge, 30A could be a bit too much. For example if you charge from your leisure battery to the starter battery. Other way around it is ok.

0 Likes 0 ·
idunne avatar image idunne Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

ok stefanie thanks for help.....

0 Likes 0 ·
idunne avatar image idunne Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

should i go for the victron 12-12-18 dc to dc

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ idunne commented ·

If you charge from your starter battery and the leisure batteries are connected in parallel, then the 12-12-30 is fine. The leisure batteries can easily handle 30A charge.

If you charge from the leisure battery, then probably 30A is too much for the single starter battery and the 12-12-18 is the better choice.

0 Likes 0 ·
spoton avatar image spoton idunne commented ·
Sorry to piggy back your post, hope you can help me, I've just fitted the B2B,I have lead acid batteries fitted so set absorption to 14.4, but in the app under absorption do i need to flick this over to on to automatically calculates the absorption,any help would be appreciated thanks
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ spoton commented ·
Hi @Spoton,

I would recommend adaptive absorption time for your lead acid. If there are only shallow discharges, the absorption time is kept short to prevent overcharging of your battery. On deep discharges the absorption time is automatically increased. So yes, flick this switch over to adaptive absorption / automatically calculates.

0 Likes 0 ·
spoton avatar image spoton Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·
Thank you for getting back to me,any idea what to set the fixed absorption time to,I've set float to 13.5v
0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ spoton commented ·
If you want fixed absorption time, your battery supplier should know how long. I personally wouldn't go beyond 6 hours.
1 Like 1 ·
One last thing then I will leave you alone ,so set the switch to automatically do I then need to set fixed absorption to 6hrs or set this to 0, sorry if i sound stupid
0 Likes 0 ·
You set it to the maximum absorption time you will allow when adaptive absorption time is on, ie. you set it to 6 hours it means it won't go beyond 6 hours in the worst case (deep discharge). It most probably will stay well below 6 hours.
0 Likes 0 ·
Thank you,I wish you and your family a safe and merry Christmas
0 Likes 0 ·
Welcome. Merry Christmas to you and yours :)
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @idunne,

you should create your own preset with settings recommended by your battery manufacturer. Look into the data sheet of your leisure sealed lead acid batteries and use the values from there.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.