lets give a full details of the system configuration

Easysolar 5kv

BMV 712 smart

3 Battery balancer

9 X 375wat solar panels

3 string 12v 200ha Narada 313F HTB " I'm attaching the operation manual "

my concern is charging current setting for 48v system 25c

Float 54.40v / Equalization 56.4 this is according to operating manual

no details any where in the user Manual regarding Absorption charge current noticed, what would be the most suitable charge current, noting the max discharge is 10 -15% of the battery capacity regards .. ishtiaq

48v battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
alan avatar image
alan answered ·

Different manufacturers use different terminology for the same thing.

Narada are especially bad at this, equalisation in this case is the absorption charge voltage and current.

real equalisation voltage for a Lead Acid battery is around 2.5-2.7v depending on the type.

Those cells don’t require equalisation.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

ishtiaq avatar image
ishtiaq answered ·

Thanks Alan

I agree Narada such pain in this case, your given information is good enough to remove the confusion about the equalization and absorption charging , but in other hand if you look at the user manual stated to do equalization for 24 hr, kindly look under Charge requirement

I'm really concern to to do either equalization or absorption for 24hr

noting MPPT already take care of the absorption the setting is 2.30min

your feedback highly appreciateed

2 comments
2 |3000

alan avatar image alan commented ·

I assume that you are going to be using these in cyclic operation? Ie power source at night and charged from solar.

As stated here, http://narada-ap.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/12HTB100.pdf

Cyclic charge is 2.3/cell @ 35c with -5mv/C temp compensation, which works out at 2.35V/cell @ 25c.

I would ignore the timing if used in cyclic operation as it is more relevant if they are used in float, I.E in a ups or something that might cycle once a year. As for current stick to 0.2C10, so 120A if you have 600ah capacity and you will be fine, the data sheet linked above quotes unlimited current under 25celcius or 0.25C10 above 25celcius

0 Likes 0 ·
ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq alan commented ·

well noted and many thanks for your valuable advice

0 Likes 0 ·
marc-de-montreal avatar image
marc-de-montreal answered ·

hi, go to page 11 table 3-2 voltage setup which charging voltage depend of the load current.. in my opinion, absorbing is a state which current fall slowly near zero at the charging voltage set point.. that help you?

note: china products traduction is often erratic.. have you tried to contact them?

Marc

1 comment
2 |3000

ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq commented ·

Hi marc

Thanks for your time, seeting on page 11 table 3-2 apply for BLVD and LLVD series mine is HTBF

Yes I have tried to contact them and I received the operation manual -:)

(absorbing is a state which current fall slowly near zero at the charging voltage set point.. that help you?) I can't really tell that's what seeking help here and safe battery lifetime

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Ishtiaq, as far I have seen on internet your batteries are either AGM or Gel, thus they don't need to be equalized. This will lead to a failure, as there is no way to replace the electrolyte. They are not lead-acid battries where you can refill them with distilled water. So, equalization is a no go !

Michel

10 comments
2 |3000

ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq commented ·

Hi Michel

its sealed lead acid, 313 HTB series and with regards to the equalization this is clearly mentioned in the operation manual

anyway thank for your time and writing

ishtiaq

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg ishtiaq commented ·

Hi Ishtiaq,, according to the manufacturer, your batteries are AGM sealed lead acid :

HTB

This kind of battery dont use equalization AFAIK, you are just going to damage them. I found some detailled information about the AGMs :

Equalizing AGM and other sealed batteries

Equalizing AGM and other sealed batteries is a bit more tricky. The bubbling electrolyte results in some loss; electrolyte vapor exits the vent caps. However because there is no way to replace the lost electrolyte it is obvious that a different strategy is required. I couldn't find any manufacturer that recommended equalizing Gel batteries. These batteries are highly sensitive to over-charge and equalizing is not going to work for them. However although I did find a manufacturer that definitely did not recommend equalizing their AGM batteries (Trojan) I did find at least one manufacturer (Lifeline) that did recommend equalizing their AGM batteries.

I hope this will help you. Just double check with the manufacturer, just to avoid any problem.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·
ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq michelg commented ·

im sharing user manual please review it

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan michelg commented ·

Narada call absorption, equalisation. They do across the range. Real equalisation voltage is 2.5 to 2.9v per cell for lead acid.
https://batteryuniversity.com/learn/article/equalizing_charge#:~:text=Applying%20a%20periodic%20equalizing%20charge,on%20the%20plates%20over%20time.

https://shop.pkys.com/Battery-Equalization_ep_44.html

The manual clearly states for cyclic operation to use what the call they equalisation charge. Which in reality is absorption. Either way if the batterysafe setting is on in the equipment, this will stop gassing.

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg alan commented ·

Yep, bad translation ! BULK - ABSORPTION - FLOAT, but for sure NO EQUALIZATION, this will damage the batteries, as I previously wrote.

Thanks for pointing the mistranslation. I hope it will help Ishtiaq.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·

Thank you to all of you for clarifying this issue

regards

ishtiaq

0 Likes 0 ·
ishtiaq avatar image ishtiaq ishtiaq commented ·

Michel

with all information falling to gather, what if the batteries reming in float the DOC around 10 -15 %

ishtiaq

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg ishtiaq commented ·

Usually, battery floating voltage is 13.2VDC - 13.8VDC for a 12VDC battery. If 24VDC then it should be between 26.4VDC-27.6VDC (27.6 is what usually used for floating voltage when the batteries are fully loaded). If your battery bank is 48VDC, then it will be between 52.8VDC - 55.2VDC.

I'll recommend you to watch the serie of webinars created by Steve, from ROLLS Batteries : it will help you a lot understanding the things.

Battery type

Battery engineering

Charging parameters

I have been watching all the serie, and did learn a lot about batteries. Steve (ROLLS) was very helpful when I was in trouble using my S605 battery bank.

Hope this will bring you a better knowledged about your system.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·

thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
alan avatar image alan ishtiaq commented ·

Float use, the batteries rarely discharge at all. The batteries are kept at 100% SOC for 95% of their life.

Float use is a backup type scenario where a piece of equipment is powered by another source of continuous power, mains, hydro etc... The batteries only cycle if this source fails. In a blackout for instance.

The cells are kept at a lower voltage (float) to reduce corrosion of the positive grid. But enough to account for the self discharge of the batteries. The switch to absorption (what narada call equalisation) every 90 days is to balance the cells. This is where I think narada are getting their wires crossed, as equalisation also helps balance the cells, but equalisation attempts to convert hardened lead sulphate back to active material.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic