question

nebulight avatar image
nebulight asked

Remote On/Off for all MPPTs

This is just a suggestion for Victron.

I was helping install a VE.Bus BMS this weekend along with a 150/100 Smart solar with the remote On/Off. It made installation so much smoother! I often help with camper van installs and usually work with the 100/50 or 100/30 units which do not have a remote on/off switch. I know there is a VE.Direct adapter, but most people go all in with Victron so they also use a GX device so it's not possible to use that AND use the GX. I have resorted in the past of using a battery protect installed backwards, but that just adds to the cost of install and complexity.

My suggestion would be to add remote on/off to all MPPT units. It would make installations with Victron lithium batteries, and DIY lithium with an external BMS a lot smoother.

MPPT SmartSolarremote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
pcg avatar image
pcg answered ·

I've come up with two solutions for this. I've ruling out using an external device (Battery Protect or Cyrix Li) to disconnect the charger output because I want to avoid damage to the charger if it's disconnected from the battery while it's charging.. I know Victron publishes schematics that show this, but I'm not comfortable with it.

I haven't tested either of these solutions yet so I can't verify from experience...

1) Victron has verified to me that MPPTs with VE.Direct capability and firmware v1.46 (or later) now support Distributed Voltage and Current Control (DVCC). If this MPPT is connected (via VE.DIrect) to a GX device with DVCC enabled, then a Lynx Smart BMS can relay information to the GX device which will stop the MPPT from charging when required. This should work with a VE.Bus BMS as well, but you should verify this with Victron. The GX manual covers DVCC in detail.

2) This isn't as elegant a solution, but If you mainly want the GX device for monitoring MPPT current, then I don't see why you couldn't insert a SmartShunt (VE.DIrect connection) into the current output line of the MPPT, and then monitor the shunt. Now you can use the MPPT VE.Direct terminal with the special cable for a remote On/Off for battery management.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pcg avatar image
pcg answered ·

I second this. I'm planning on using a Smart Li battery (in a boat), which requires an external BMS. The charge current from the MPPT will need to be removed from the battery by the "charge disconnect" of the VE.Bus BMS, if the battery requests it. I can use a Cyrix Li to disconnect the output, but it is my understanding that it is not good practice to suddenly disconnect the load of a charging device while it is charging, which can damage the charging device. Far preferable is to simply turn the charger off. My PV array requires an MPPT 100/30, but there is no way I can remotely shut it off.

2 |3000

octafish avatar image
octafish answered ·

Would be even better if I could shut down multiple MPPTS in my system directly from my integrated Simrad MFD!

2 |3000

Related Resources

MPPT product page

VictronConnect manual

PWM or MPPT

MPPT calculator

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic