question

ducksinarow avatar image
ducksinarow asked

Flashing temperature, absorption and float lights on 12/3000/120

We have bought a boat with a 3 month old 12/3000/120 Victron installed. The previous owner explained that we should run our engine to charge our batteries using two pieces of electronics - a Dometic travelpower kit and the Victron.

We turn on the engine, power up the Dometic and the Victron then goes through its bulk, absorption, float process. We keep an eye on the Dometic and when the screen shows we have reach 0.1W (from a start point of 1.7W usually) and the Victron is at least in absorption, we switch it all off and the batteries are fully charged. Since we had the batteries cleaned up, we haven't hit float regardless of how long we run the process for (beforehand it was going into float far too quickly but not holding a charge).

In the past week, when we go through the process, with the engine on, the Dometic doing its thing and the Victron on, the temperature light has begun to flash on the Victron. We thought this was due to the cupboard confining the Victron so have put a fan on it to keep the space cool but this only delays the temperature light flashing. The past two days, not only has the temperature light flashed but the absorption and float lights have flashed simultaneously. When this has happened, the Dometic display shows we are down to 0.1W so it looks like the batteries are close to being fully charged (even though it's much less time taken than previously - maybe after only half an hour).

This began when a Betamarine engineer told my partner that the optimum revs to charge the batteries was 1200 which was higher than we had been running the engine at before (about 900 revs). We wondered if the temperature light flashing was connected to the higher revs so have pulled the engine revs back again but the temperature light is still flashing. The only other difference is that my partner topped up the water levels of the batteries a few days ago - and the temperature light wasn't flashing before he did that.

Anyone have any idea why these lights have started flashing?

temperature
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @DucksInARow

Multis are very temp tolerant, and I've never seen mine at alarm level, even at 46C in the shade.

The flashing leds are a clue though, and I extracted this from a manual:

1612521380116.png

So it's probably relatively good news, and maybe not worth too much concern. If it is actually hot the fan(s) 'should' be on and the exhaust air noticeably warm. I'd expect not at your "0.1W" (which I read as kW), and you could continue on.

Download the manual for your specific model from the Victron website to see it for yourself.

I agree it would be annoying though. Maybe a warranty fix is apt..

Edit/: It sez "battery temp", so I've misconstrued it. Still, something to investigate..

1612521380116.png (36.3 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic