question

tim22 avatar image
tim22 asked

Orion TR Smart 12 | 12-18 isolated wiring question

I want to install the Orion TR Smart 12 | 12-18 isolated not because it is isolated but because an 18A non isolated version is not available. I am planning to use it to charge my start FLA battery from a LiFePO4 house bank when needed. My question is can the two negatives be combined as shown in the attached drawing.

Thanks

Tim

Orion wiring detail.pdf

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

7 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi Tim again,

yes you can combine both battery negative as per your diagram. That's how I did it in my installation as well.

Hope that helps.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tim22 avatar image tim22 commented ·

Thanks again @Stefanie

0 Likes 0 ·
motorhomer avatar image
motorhomer answered ·

Just to let you all know, I have same setup and have spoken to Victron technical. It will all work ok with a common ground on the isolation B2B, it will just loose the isolation protection

2 |3000

randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

The difference between isolated and non isolated when it comes to grounding is that isolated have separate grounds for each bank, and non isolated have one common ground. I’d say you don’t want to combine grounds on an isolated unit.

6 comments
2 |3000

tim22 avatar image tim22 commented ·

Hi @randy-putnam

Are you saying that combining the two grounds will not work, or just that the batteries will no longer be isolated.

Thanks
Tim

0 Likes 0 ·
randy-putnam avatar image randy-putnam tim22 commented ·

Check out this video from Battle Born. Hope that helps.

https://youtu.be/GpNDeQN4O-o

0 Likes 0 ·
tim22 avatar image tim22 randy-putnam commented ·

Hi @randy-putnam
I looked at the video but it doesn’t really answer the question. As per my original post, I would be quite happy with a non isolated charger but unfortunately there is no 18A non isolated charger available. Hence the question as to whether combining the grounds on the isolated charger would work, albeit in a non isolated mode.

Thanks

Tim

0 Likes 0 ·
randy-putnam avatar image randy-putnam tim22 commented ·

Got it. Per your drawing I’d say this set up would not work, because you basically have 2 separate fields. One is input and one is output. My understanding is that the Orion TR Smart needs a complete + - circuit for each or it will not convert the input voltage and amps to the output voltage and amps. Combining the negatives in this case may not activate the conversion, and I’m not sure if it would do any harm to the charger. My setup uses the 12/12-30 TR Smart with input on the start (FLA) battery and output on the 2 100AH Battle Borns in parallel (house bank). It’s set up to limit the alternator current to a max of 30 amps into the LFP house bank when the engine (boat) is running.

I guess you could give it a go. But you can try emailing victron at salesUSAcanada@victron.com. I did this and got an answer back the next day.. Good luck.

0 Likes 0 ·
randy-putnam avatar image randy-putnam randy-putnam commented ·
0 Likes 0 ·
lepa1973 avatar image lepa1973 randy-putnam commented ·

It will work... I have the same setup in my boat

0 Likes 0 ·
link-cat avatar image
link-cat answered ·

I have the same question to make, as the smartshunt requires the negative of the starter battery connected to the loads negative (to the shunt) I have connected the negative of the starter battery to the negative busbar, i was thinking that I can wire the orion imput negative from the busbar to the orion-tr, and the orion negative output to the busbar.

Thanks for all

2 |3000

sergiour avatar image
sergiour answered ·

I don't think it is a problem to use the same negative. In the boats the negatives of the different banks are connected.

simultaneous charging isolator works with positives. The negative is common.

I am going to mount 2 Orion TR Smart 18 + 30A in parallel to go from 250 AGM battery to the lithium bank from the alternator charge.

I understand that the 2 banks are isolated?

2 |3000

motorhomer avatar image
motorhomer answered ·

Hi guys, I have same issue, I have isolating DC-DC converter but now I would like to keep both negatives together. I have lead acid starter battery and Lithium leisure battery so not sure if this will make any problems.

The van is wired with negative together from dealer and has a shared fridge negative. I could try isolate everything but it would be easier to keep them together.

I have emailed Victron support to see what they say. I was wondering with common negative does the controller still switch on automatically and still charge correctly

2 |3000

danieljs avatar image
danieljs answered ·

¡Hola!

En un Booster Orión tr smart 12/12-18a.

de cuantos seran los fusibles de proteccion?

miEn el de 30a se instalan de 60a,interpretó que en uno de 18a debería de ser de 30a o de 40?

2 |3000