question

geert avatar image
geert asked

can i use an orion tr between leisure battery and load to stabilize power supply

In order to get a stable 12v for my camper equipment, I intend to put an Orion-tr 12/12 between my leisure battery and the loads.

So I do not want to use the Orion as a charger. (I already have a cyrix between the start battery and the leisure battery)

Is this a good idea?

Thanks.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

It does provide a stable voltage, yes. Most appliances for battery use are happy with car voltages up to about 15V so the question is what you want to achieve. Flickering lights that are annoying? Yes it will remedy these if only lights are powered by it. It will bring up your loads voltage if the leisure battery is low, so you might think it is fuller than it actually is and thereby damage the battery due to over discharging. There is a slight increase in overall demand, so if you can barely recharge now, you will have more trouble after.

If the orion is damaged due to being submerged, it can go wide open to around 30V and fry everything.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

geert avatar image
geert answered ·

Thanks, Ripper.

It is for a camper, so I do not intend to drive it in the water. No danger for flooding.

I also want to us a battery protect to avoid over discharging. I suppose I connect the battery protect between the battery and the Orion? Otherwise the battery protect will be fooled by the orion. Or is all that overkill?

2 |3000