question

Ingo avatar image
Ingo asked

GX Cloud Configuration Backup?

There was a recent question by @sailorbg on Venus OS image backup which made we wonder if a Cloud storage for GX settings is still being looked at and perhaps still on the roadmap.

The below posts hinted at where the configuration is stored but for an average user that wants peace-of-mind knowing that the settings are saved somewhere, and can easily be retrieved, seems to be a good feature to have. How much space does a compressed configuration file take? Mine takes about 32kB uncompressed and 4kB compressed.

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/29712/ccgx-configuration-backup-download.html

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/63791/import-venus-gx-configuration.html

What if your GX dies, or somehow has data corruption, and has to be replaced. Would it not be easy to download the settings from VRM portal once the new device has been replaced or fixed?

I know I would like an easy recovery procedure for my system should something happen to it.

Ingo

PS. The files I backup are the settings.xml and vrm_auth_token.txt (just in case). I hope that is sufficient for a recovery.

PPS. This is all null-and-void if such a feature already exists and I just don't know about it.

VRMVenus GX - VGX
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Ingo, we do have being able to save the settings onto a usb drive (or sdcard) on the todo-list. But not your idea yet - would be a nice addition to saving the settings in the first place. Thanks, noted!

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

coreyzev avatar image coreyzev commented ·
any updates?

1 Like 1 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

FYI, I have added saving SOME of the settings to SD card/USB stick as part of SetupHelper v4.

I went through the list of settings using dbus-spy and made a file with settings I though could be safely saved and restored. The settings must exist to save them to media and must also exist in order for them to be restored. I am NOT creating settings as part of this process.

I also save custom logos for the Mobile and Tile Overview pages and options the setup scripts for my modification packages use.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic