question

james-styan avatar image
james-styan asked

Using a BMS system that isn't on the compatibility list - eg BYD Automotive BMS

Hi there,

I have some byd batteries from a byd b6 car. they are in packs with the original bms attached to the top of them, i have the wiring harness and can identify the can bus wires. does anyone know if the bms system from the car can be interfaced with the byd bmu?

if i can't use the original bms system for the batteries what system would be recommended as a solution?

there are 3 x 16 200ah cells.

very grateful for any advice!

cheers, James

BYD
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I think you may have to experiment with this sort of thing yourself. Using ex-vehicle battery systems is always going to be a bit of a DIY exercise, not many people will have has access to the components that you have.
Victron keep adding support for battery systems as they come on the market, BYD is one of them, but they can only really test ones that would be available for sale to the general pubic or installers. Systems from cars don't fall into this category.
I think it's going to be quite difficult to find much information about interfacing BYD car batteries to a BMU designed for Energy Storage Systems, people who have bought ES systems are unlikely to be the type of people to experiment with them one they are installed and working.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.