question

toms avatar image
toms asked

Orion smart charger isolated earth or not?

Hi. I’m about to instal an Orion 12/12-30 smart charger isolated version. This will charge my two leisure batteries. From the instructions it looks like the leisure batteries are ‘not’ grounded to the vehicles chassis. I just wanted to check this is correct and there is no earth needed to vehicle chassis (hence isolated) thanks very much for any input! Tom.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

Isolation would be about the transformer electrically separating the in and output positive wires. I suspect if you check continuity using a multimeter the Orion’s two ground terminals are probably electrically equivalent.

So it probably doesn’t matter. There’s pros and cons about connecting your house batteries negative terminal to the chassis. Separate issue...

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

toms avatar image toms commented ·

Thanks for the reply Jesse.
Would you be able to elaborate on the pros and cons of grounding to chassis for me please?

Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Toms

The isolated Orions have no electrical continuity between input and output on both positive and negative terminals.

For a land based vehicle, earthing 12V is really only necessary if you have kit using a chassis earth return rather than wires. Most modern vehicles use wires, and it may not matter then if the Orion wasn't isolated.

In a marine environment with electrolytic corrosion a real danger, the earthing issue gets much more complex, and if you really need to know I could post up some links. Ask if you need..

1 comment
2 |3000

toms avatar image toms commented ·

That’s great thanks john.
there will be no kit needing a chassis earth return. I’ll just be wiring my inverter direct to the leisure batteries. I just wanted to check that was correct to not worry about a chassis earth.....for safety reasons more than anything. Thank you.

0 Likes 0 ·