question

mike-alanko avatar image
mike-alanko asked

Solar PV overbuild strategy for peak-sun optimized use - advice?

Hello experts,

Thanks for your consideration!

I need some help validating my ideas about solar PV overbuild.

My idea is to build a floating summer-cabin with Sauna, (wood-fired), kitchen, shower, and beds,

I would like to use extra PV power to allow for propulsion of the cabin when there is the opportunity;

If excess PV power is available, rather than store this as battery energy, I would like to be able to go on tour of a small lake.

I have an excess PV modules available and would prefer to install everything without investing extra in batteries.

Is it a workable idea to transfer power directly from PV charge controllers (with a battery buffer) to DC propulsion motors?

How can I best engineer this concept?

Thanks everyone!

solar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
spirou avatar image
spirou answered ·

Far too variable output to make sense. Even a small battery is better than nothing as a buffer.

Also, what are you going to do when you run out of sun for whatever reason (tree shade next to shore, cloud...) and need to move?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-alanko avatar image
mike-alanko answered ·

Spirou, sorry, I should have been more clear: I will have a small battery - for sure.

I'm just wondering how the charge controller will like this kind of load, how will it perform?

I may have a back-up generator for emergencies, as I won't need a lot of battery capacity most of the time. Trying to balance the investment.

1 comment
2 |3000

spirou avatar image spirou commented ·

It will simply output whatever it can/needs to. Might want tonplay around with rebulk setting but otherwise should work reasonably well for a non critical function

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic