question

happyday avatar image
happyday asked

Difference between Lynx distributor and Lynx Power is..

Is it correct that the only difference between the Lynx Power and the Lynx Distributor is battery monitor PCB (which requires the Lynx Shunt?)? I already have the BMV-712 and don't feel monitoring the fuses to be that useful. Thank you.

d-bus
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @happyday, welcome to the Community!

The Lynx Power-In is a busbar, while the Distributor is a combination busbar/fuse holder.

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-distribution-systems/lynx-power-in

https://www.victronenergy.com/dc-distribution-systems/lynx-distributor

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

To add some extra detail. They use the same physical external housing, but the Power-In does not contain the nuts and bolts used to connect the MEGA fuses.

It is possible to add those bolts yourself (as there is space in the case moulding) if you still wish to use the Power-In with string fuses, but no PCB.

And yes, the PCB of the distributor requires an additional Lynx accessory such as the Lynx shunt to power it.

0 Likes 0 ·
happyday avatar image happyday Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you Guy. So I looked more closely at the internal image of each:

- distributor 1608663181026.png

- power in:

1608663248095.png

In your reply, you note: ""They use the same physical external housing " - The housing looks identical internally also. Correct?

You also note "the Power-In does not contain the nuts and bolts used to connect the MEGA fuses. " - The Bolts look the same. Correct?

I really like the fuse holders being inside the bus. But I really dislike having to throw out the BMV-712 and then also buy the Lynx Shunt for around $200 (US).? Also, that is yet more real estate the Shunt takes up that we don't have...

Thank you very much.

0 Likes 0 ·
1608663181026.png (532.4 KiB)
1608663248095.png (2.2 MiB)
rikesh avatar image rikesh Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) just a clarification on this comment please.

1. Does this mean, we can use Lynx PowerIn instead of Lynx distributor if we added to Lynx PowerIn additional M8 bolts in those provided case mouldings with mega fuses?

2. I looked at the existing bolts and if we use the same size there is a height difference, so will this matter when installing the fuse?

3. We are linking up to 5 Lynx PowerIn so do we need to keep all batteries connected to one Lynx Powerin busbar with mega fuses or if we have space we could connect Quattro and Mppt to the same as well. OR do we keep batteries separated and just use a separate Lynx Powerin just for our quattros and mppt?

4. Lynx Powerin = 1000A.

so this mean that on each one max A = 1000

But if we are using 5 Lynx PowerIn connected together and use them for quattro/ mppt and battery connection then should the total of battery A be less than 1000A?

5. Or should we use Lynx Power Distributor for all battery side connections with Lynx In+shunt in between this and our Lynx PowerIn where quattro and Mppt are connected?

We are using 20 units of LTO 48V batteries - 31.5A each connected in parallel to busbar = 630A

0 Likes 0 ·

1 - Yes, you can use the power-in instead of the distributor with the addition of some M8 bolts and mega fuses to save money on the PCB.

2. Yes, the fuse must be on the same plane, and make a perfect flush contact. You may need to use some washers or another nut to get the level correct.

3. Please complete the parallel and 3 phase theory and practical online training - http://professional.victronenergy.com/online-training/ - It is best to balance the batteries, charge sources, and load sources across the bus.

4. The total power flowing across the bus is limited to 1000A. With correct balancing, you may have a total power output greater than 1000A, as long as the current is evenly distributed between inverters and batteries so that no one section exceeds that.

For a large system like that I would consult with a regional sales manager, or another distributor who is experienced with safe design and installation of high current power systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
rikesh avatar image rikesh Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks I was thinking about the balancing as well of batteries, inverter/chargers and mppt across the bus bar.

I met Fabian and emailed them info of what we doing and hopefully arrange a trip to Nimbin to meet Rainbow Power and get them to build our boards all prewired as we may need a few hundred of this built so hopefully they come on board.

When I do it would be good to catch up with you as well.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic