question

Jonathan Walton avatar image
Jonathan Walton asked

Pylontech us3000 High Voltage Alarm

Hi

I know this Issue has had quite a lot of coverage and I have studied all the previous questions but still can't find a solution to this issue.

I have 18 pylontech us3000 battery modules connected to 3 x 15KVA Quattros, a Venus GX and a pylontech LV hub and I am running a single phase ESS system with a grid meter. I also have a 24Kw wind turbine on-site and the excess wind is captured by the ess until the batteries are full.

The system has been running now for a couple of months and is working great, however over the last few days we have had a lot of wind so the batteries have been at 99/100% charge for an extended period of time and this is when the warnings have occurred. I should say that at no point has the system shut down due to high voltage, I just keep getting high voltage notifications ranging from 53.57V to 53.59V.

When the system was first commissioned, the notifications appeared for a couple of days until the batteries balanced then the notifications stopped and everything was fine for weeks. The firmware is up to date on the GX and the Quattros, and I am aware of the higher voltage setting on the GX firmware v2.60 and I haven't tried using the older firmware to rectify the issue.

The reason being I was wondering if I could override the BMS and just charge the batteries to around 85-90%, basically to give the batteries an easier life. Is it just a case of dropping the float and absorption voltages on the quattros from 51.0V and 52.0V? Also what would be a reasonable level to set the "SOC unless grid fails" setting if battery longevity was my primary concern? - I currently have it set at 20% Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks

Jonathan

Pylontech
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

to me this sounds like a voltage setting in the ess assistant, and or the VRM alarm settings area.

In regards to reducing the multiplus voltages etc. I have my doughts here as I don't think its the multi that controls your wind generator voltage its more than likely the wind generators DC connected Regulator.

plus its not clear to me if the warning you are getting is from the Multi plus or from the VRM or from the batteries.

If the above is not of help then please attach some screen shots of the error message and advise on

1. how is the wind gen connected to the system

2. more advise as to where the alarm is showing and from what device

3. some screen shots of the ESS setup settings

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jonathan Walton avatar image
Jonathan Walton answered ·

Hi Paul

Thanks for your reply

The wind turbine is connected to the system with 4x grid-tied ABB inverters and is on the input side of the Quattros (AC IN 1) The ess grid meter signals the Quattros to charge or discharge the batteries dependant on whether we are importing from the grid or exporting.

I have checked all the settings in the ess assistant and they match the setup instructions in the Victron/ Pylontech manual.

The warnings appear on the Venus GX and I have attached a screenshot

Thanks again

Jonathan1608364840207.png

1608364840207.png (157.6 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

To me this looks like a warning from the PYLON batteries themselves but is displaying on the GX unit as well. I have not used the pylontech batteries so have no experience here, however I do not think this warning is associated with a victron device, so look in the pylomtech or contact them unless someone else here has a better sugestion

0 Likes 0 ·
Meiring avatar image
Meiring answered ·

Hi all you guys that opted for Pylon® or Sirius® or other narrowband lithium or supercap.

The Problem in the load is low and the utility shuts down on grid feed, so if you are only using 180W of the power back flowing say 7900W you need stuff all that power in somwhere. in a split second to protect the "PWM" inside the victron to shift the Hz and shut the 8.2.1 Primo. round trip throught a hardwire network is about 2.5 seconds now the switching takes 12 times ,4 times longer than the new Batt BMS allow longer to throttle down plus your battery is "100%" this means it shoves the excess down to the batteries.

This is something we never saw with lead units even though the bump caused life shortening of the lead Batteries.

The best way I think to do this is like the shunt metal resistor and contactor(aux relay) for that short period to unload the power before tripping the batteries and running the at 90%(minimum SOC unless power failure) during the day.

I have seen voltages of up to 64VDC on the BMV 712 and the the 3000c's trip.

2 |3000

Meiring avatar image
Meiring answered ·

Pylons =

US300 =42 - 54 but the BMS start protecting at 44.5 and 54.1 for 5 seconds and trip. Victron recommended 46 - 53.2 MAX as 100 usage

Supplier give max DOD as 90% recommended.

US3000C = 44 - 53.5

but the BMS start protecting at 44.5 and 53.1 for 1 seconds and trip. Victron recommended 46 - 52.5 MAX as 100 usage

Supplier give max DOD as 90% recommended.

So at 4000 cycles = 3150W Available????

Caps are 80W/kg lithiums are about 100W+/kg

2 |3000