question

graham78 avatar image
graham78 asked

What just happened with my Orion?

So I was expecting to have a long drive this afternoon so didn’t hook my batteries up and they got a little low. Not a problem as they are LifePo4 (victron).
however I started my van and was looking at the bmv screen on connect when I noticed it dropping in and out of charge. I opened my Orion page and noticed it was fluctuating from 7ish to 22ish volts.
I now panic thinking my alternator is going to blow and start diagnostics.
the engine side all checked out fine and there was no issues there.
I went to my set up and disconnected the Orion and reconnected it, no change. I have a battery protect so I used this to isolate the loads from the batteries and charging and it smoothed out and gave me the figures I would expect. Load on it goes erratic again.
so I drive a little and get some charge in the batteries and then stop, switch off and check the system and it is all ok with no erratic happenings.
so is this normal behaviour when SoC is low and I should be mindful of not letting it get to the same sort of range I did or is there something not quite right in victron-ville!!!

Set up that I looked at (not total install):

• Orion 12/12-30
  • Bmv 712
  • Smart protect 100A
  • 3x160ah victron LifePo4 (12v)

Also when the SoC was low it knocked out 1/3 of my supply - 1 of 3 fuse boxes didn’t work... if this is relevant

thanks in advance for all constructive comments.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers