question

Javier San Juan Costillas avatar image
Javier San Juan Costillas asked

Fronius zero feed-in not working properly

I have read multiple times that ESS is not for off-grid situations but it is not clear to me the reasoning...

If ESS, requires a constant set point consuming from grid, while there are batteries on system to support that load and even tho sometimes it feeds into the grid, I do not see the point of consuming 2+Kwh daily from grid just because of it.

I was thinking, somehow configuring a relay to cut AC-in when battery is over 25% and when it is not off peak hours. That way the system will use ESS when its required, but if not will only use Solar and batteries. Is there a reason why I should not do this?

Currently there is a contactor connected to the Ziehl anti-islanding device, which is NO so I thought, that if I put the contactor trough a programable relay, unless Victron sees its over 25% or its within off-peak times, that relay will be closed, thus not activating ACin.

Is it viable? Is it a crazy idea? If so why?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Javier San Juan Costillas

Not so crazy. Many people feel as you do.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/drafts:acin_ignore_timer_using_ccgx_gen_start_stop_example

This is an interesting article of you are looking to pursue your idea more.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Javier San Juan Costillas avatar image Javier San Juan Costillas commented ·

Thanks for the response!, glad to know that I am not thinking pursuing something impossible.

I will see if there is a way to simplify without going Relay inside CCGX then to Quattro.

Simplest will be one of the Quattro relays configured for time/SOC and connected to the ziehlrelay that way if antiislanding wants ACin contactor off, the quattro even that is on, will not have current thus the contactor will be open.

Lets see what I can find :)

0 Likes 0 ·
Javier San Juan Costillas avatar image
Javier San Juan Costillas answered ·

Thanks to @Alexandra, I did use the generator start/stop relay feature on CCGX and that way.

I wired one side of the the contactor that controls ACin1 that was connected to anti-island, to the relay in CCGX that way I can setup time of day to keep it open (normally night if I want to do scheduled charge at off-peak), then as well I close (connect AC1) if battery is been overloaded, can add as well when battery is below 21% (that way ESS will do its function).

Not recommended but this way, once there is enough sun, there is no need to keep consuming 100-150W, or even sometimes injecting to the grid, only connecting to grid when it is strictly neccesary.

If there are any other ideas or considerations about this setup, will be glad to hear.

Thanks again @Alexandra

2 comments
2 |3000

thomasw-1 avatar image thomasw-1 commented ·

Hi JSJC,
Have you considered to use the legacy Hub-2 app instead of ESS?

0 Likes 0 ·
thomasw-1 avatar image thomasw-1 commented ·

Just had another idea:
Theretically you could monitor different Modbus parameters by node-red and control a relais in dependency of a arbitrary metric. In case of a current AC-load threshold you could add AC-input again in order to avoid a continous overlload and switch it off after it returned to normal.

I am actually struggling with same issue:

Unfortunately Victron team did not respond so far.

0 Likes 0 ·