question

daniel-1 avatar image
daniel-1 asked

ESS mode not transferring to grid when Multiplus 2 5000 is overloaded

I have a site that when the customer uses more than 4000 watts for a period of time that the Multiplus 2 48/5000/70-48 (firmware 477) unit turns off on overload rather than going into grid transfer mode, site is setup up with the ESS assistant (grid connected), colour controller (firmware 2.6) and 14.0kW of BYD batteries. Looking at some other posts it appears that the powerassist is turned off when ESS is active, I thought this was rectified with some of the latest firmware or perhaps I have missed a setting somewhere.

Daniel

ESSpowerassist
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @daniel@gnr8nrg.com.au

Is the inverter connected to grid when this happens?

In ESS mode, the system is always adding to grid and pushing back to grid, so basically like power assist.
Only when grid is disconnected, the system doesn't have a choice and will run of the battery only.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

daniel-1 avatar image daniel-1 commented ·

Yes the inverter is connected to the grid when this happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ daniel-1 commented ·

Hi @daniel@gnr8nrg.com.au

I'm sorry I didn't get a mention about your reply.

is this still happening?

Can you try limiting the inverter power in the ESS settings to see if this helps?\

(it shouldn't happen anyway, but as a test)|

Any other assistants in the Multi?

0 Likes 0 ·
daniel-1 avatar image
daniel-1 answered ·

Hello Daniel,

Yes the inverter is connected to the grid when this happens.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual