question

davo00 avatar image

IP22 Going Straught to Absorption

I have a Victron BSC IP22 12/30 charger and a 120AH Lithium battery When I connect to 240v power, the charger immediately shows a voltage of 14.2v goes straight to Absorption, irrespective of the actual voltage. The charger is set to the Li-ion profile. Below are screenshots from both the IP22 and Smartshunt.

Can anybody suggest how I can get it to Bulk charge before going to Absorption?

ip22
ip22.png (217.0 KiB)
smartshunt.png (281.9 KiB)
2 |3000 characters needed characters left characters exceeded

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
davo00 avatar image
davo00 answered ·

The charger is definitely not in power supply mode. I have stripped the system down to simply the charger and battery with nothing else connected. I have now inspected the history and see that the charger performed as expected the first seven times a cycle was commenced. Since that time, whenever power is turned on, the history shows bulk charge for 4-6 seconds and then Absorption immediately after that. The absorption cycle lasts exactly 2 hours and then it goes into storage.

Screenshots below.

Has this behavior been seen before? Perhaps my charger is defective and needs to be replaced.

charger.png (216.6 KiB)
charger-history.png (119.7 KiB)
smartshunt.png (276.8 KiB)
1 comment

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Did you check the wiring and fuses voltages between the chargers terminals and the battery terminals with a multimeter?

If there is a break, or bad connection, the charger voltage will rise because it doesn't have the battery to pull it down.

If you are reading a voltage of 13.4 Volts with on a multimeter with the probes connected to the output terminals of the charger, while the charger is reading 14.2 V then there is a problem with the charger.

If you are reading 14.2 volts on a multimeter with the probes connected to the output terminals of the charger, and only 13.4 volts on the battery terminals, then there is a problem with the wiring, connections or fuses between the charger and the battery.

Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

it's like your charger is in power suply mode !

check your wiring and fuse may be somethink in this way !