question

jzmckee avatar image
jzmckee asked

Charging two different battery banks with same starter battery / alternator via two Orion tri smart

Hello,

Looking for confirmation or advice on a few elements of my design. Any help is greatly appreciated.

1) Dual Orion Tri Smart to charge from the alternator (very high output alternator)

• Is it safe to connect two different Orion Tri Smart chargers to the same starter battery to charge two separate banks of voltages? (1st bank being 24V house, always installed. 2nd bank being a single 12V battery that is removable for multiple purposes (boat, mobile needs)
  • Is using an Isolator necessary or even helpful in this case?

The ultimate goal is for the removable 12v battery to be used to feed 24v loads when connected, as well as to be charged from Orion tri smart via alternator/starter bank and or any surplus of solar from MPPT charging the 24V bank.

The latter I believe can be achieved via the 12v load control from the 75/15 MPPT. In order to have the 12v also contribute to the 24V loads, I plan to use a 12 24 dc converter. The input of this converter being connected to the 12V distribution bus bar with the output to the 24V distribution buss.

Does anyone see potential issues with this configuration?

• Any harm in the 12V load control from 75/15 MPPT feeding into the same 12v distribution bus that would include the 12 24 dc converter, and misc. 12V loads?
  • Lastly, I would still need to supply some 12V load support when the 12V battery is removed. I suppose the only way to achieve this is 24 12 dc converter from 24V distribution bus to 12V distribution buss.

I hope this makes sense. While the configuration may seem more complicated than it needs to be, please understand that the reasoning is sound. I have pure mobile 12V needs and already have this battery purchased. In addition, my onboard needs are primarily 24V, plus I am more comfortable in having 24V runs throughout the vehicle for safety purposes.

Thanks in advance for the feedback.

Joel in San Antonio, Texas

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

0 Answers