question

longbedbob avatar image
longbedbob asked

SmartSolar Start Up Voltage With 12V Panels in Parallel.

I have two arrays on the roof of my fifth wheel camper. One utilizes 4 x 100 watt 12V panels in parallel. Shading prohibits series installation. I'm using a PWM controller and typically only see 60% harvesting. Since roof space is limited and adding more panels not feasible, the most effective way to harvest more power would be to upgrade to an MPPT charge controller.

The Victron Configuration Wizard recommends the SmartSolar 100/30.

However, after watching a Victron video, I learned that the controller generally doesn't start producing power until array voltage is 5v higher than the battery voltage. Thereafter, only a 1v difference is required to continue operating.

The optimum panel voltage is ~ 17.9v with open circuit voltage around 21.5V.

With a future LFP battery conversion planned, will the switch to an MPPT controller be worthwhile? Given a float voltage of 13.5-14V, I'm not sure there's enough "headroom" in the panels to allow the controller to start.

Am I understanding this correctly?

I suppose that if I knew the correct panel voltage throughout the day then I would be in a better position to decide. But the PWM controller, by nature, drops the voltage to just above battery voltage. I never get a sense of what potential the panels could offer.

mppt charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

you have rulled out series, have you considered a series/parrallel combo. 2 pairs of panels in series parralleled together. Could give you the best of both (some shading tollerance and a higher system voltage).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic