question

benjiboy avatar image
benjiboy asked

Venux GX system survey - what can it do ?

Hello,

I bought a unit of GX to test it on a lot of condition. I have several basics questions :

- first I liked to use the inputs "TANK" and "TEMP" to read another kind of probe (current hall effect probe). But to do this I need to know what is the voltage input of these terminal, what can they read. Can I refer to GPIO on a beaglebone black to use same caracteristics ?

- Is it possible to update OS on the beaglebone or is it basically frozen ? Can't do a apt update on it, didn't recognize the command line.

I will read the electronical canevas on github but i'm not electronic engineer ... Somebody who is can help me faster.

Thanks, bye

Venus OSVenus GX - VGXTemperature Sensor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, the tank inputs measure resistance. See manual. And for the real details see the schematics here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venusgx-hardware

Temp inputs details are on there as well.

The OS running is Venus OS (victron embedded linux). See online documentation on github for available commands and lots more info.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

benjiboy avatar image
benjiboy answered ·

Hi,

thanks for the links. But as I said in my previous post, I'm not a electronic engineer, it's very difficult to me to understand the canvas seen on github. I think I have found what I need to select a sensor it can be read on the venus, but not sure. Well, I will buy and try !

And I found the wiki, so I can see more which command line can be used on the BBB.

I will update the topic to help someone else who want to have same use of the venus.

Bye.

2 |3000

benjiboy avatar image
benjiboy answered ·

Hi, by the way, is there a version of software victron connect that can connect to something remote ? Like TCP/IP connexion, or else.

2 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

What exactly are you asking? to remotely configure devices?

VE.bus devices (multi / quattro's basically) can be remotely configured through the VRM website, ve.direct (MPPT's, BMV, etc) cannot yet be configured remotely.

0 Likes 0 ·
benjiboy avatar image benjiboy boekel ♦ commented ·

Hi, actually I like the interface of victron softwares, very simple and comprehensive, but it can be used only for local equippement (serial, USB, bluetooth, RJ45, ...).

So I'm asking if same kind of software can be found with TCP/IP connexion.

I have used VRM, but the remote console is not very patient and say "timeout" very quickly, while my SSH request works on the venus GX but is less permissive.

So to answer your question : yes, this is the capacity of remotely configure device that interest me.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron temperature sensor disambiguation table - which product supports which sensor

Victron Venus OS Open Source intro page

Venus OS GitHub (please do not post to this)

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic

Venus GX manual

Venus GX product page