question

dee-ess avatar image
dee-ess asked

I have a 3 phase, 3 multiplus II, Fronius Symo 10.3 and 15kVa BYD battery ESS. If I have a battery failure/full discharge what happens to the system?

ESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

As long as the grid is available you will use energy from the grid (and the Fronius) to power your load. If there is no grid the system will shut down.

8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dee-ess avatar image dee-ess commented ·

The Solar is wired on to ACOut1 (essential load). Grid connection is to ACin. On battery shutdown, with grid available, will we still get power to both ACout1 and ACout2?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) ♦ dee-ess commented ·

if you don't make modification of parameters, ac out 2 will be available only when grid is detected.

you can make some modification to make available the ac out 2 in different condition (uper a soc or a voltage for exemple) !

0 Likes 0 ·
dee-ess avatar image dee-ess Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) ♦ commented ·

I am being told in the event of a battery failure/total discharge that the ESS will shutdown altogether and the house will have no power! With no means of restarting it other than local manual switching.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ dee-ess commented ·

@Dee Ess

From experience of a battery shutdown, when grid was available the system goes into passthru and the loads run from grid/PV. But we had no assistant loaded as mentioned by Thierry.

Manual switching is still a useful feature we also include a bypass or manual in our systems.

0 Likes 0 ·
dee-ess avatar image dee-ess Alexandra ♦ commented ·

Were you configured in the same way as my system?

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ dee-ess commented ·

The only difference is we are using quattro's.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ dee-ess commented ·

Hi @Dee Ess

who told you that / where did you read that?

you can find more information on ESS systems in the manual:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ess:design-installation-manual

0 Likes 0 ·
dee-ess avatar image dee-ess Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

I have read that manual. It doesn’t mention the scenario whereby the battery is lost for whatever reason. My installer in the Algarve is certain that I will lose everything on battery loss. Can you confirm that this isn’t the case under my system configuration?

0 Likes 0 ·
dee-ess avatar image
dee-ess answered ·

Can anyone add any further advice/guidance?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Dee Ess

Once installed get the installer to run different scenarios like power failure on one phase and battery shutdow generator connection if you are using one in the system. And you will see what to expect when you are operating with the installer being present on site.

If you are unhappy or do not understand how to deal with these scenarios then the installer will be there to help you.

0 Likes 0 ·
dee-ess avatar image
dee-ess answered ·

The Solar is wired on to ACOut1 (essential load). Grid connection is to ACin. On battery failure, with grid available, will we still get power to both ACout1 and ACout2?

I am being told in the event of a battery failure/total discharge that the ESS will shutdown altogether and the house will have no power! With no means of restarting it other than local manual switching to bring the grid back?.

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

As I wrote in my first answer, if there is no grid available and the battery fails or is discharged the whole system will shut down.

As long as the grid is available the system will go into passthrough mode.

0 Likes 0 ·