question

markus avatar image
markus asked

What Is The Maximum Acceptable Midpoint Voltage Deviation in a Victron 48V AGM Battery Bank?

Hello,

I have a Battery Bank of 4 brand new Victron 90Ah AGM Deep Cycle Batteries connected in serial for 48V. They are charged primarily by a Victron MPPT.

I get an error everyday from Venus (BMV702), stating that the Midpoint Deviation exceeds 3.4%.

Is this OK? What is the maximum acceptable midpoint deviation in a 48V Victron AGM Battery Bank?

Thanks,

Markus

BMV Battery MonitorAGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Maybe someone can advise here please:

.) Is it a must to use Battery Balancers in a serial AGM Battery Bank?

.) Should I do equalisation charge on new Batteries?

.) what is the maximum acceptable midpoint deviation?

I have double checked:

.) Battery connections

.) Fuses of measurement wires (bad contact) to BMV

My first intention was to wait a few weeks, and so this gets better from alone, but that seems not to be the case.

As I said, the Batteries are brand new.

Thanks for help,

Markus

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

a 3.4% deviation is .7v or so, but all it's saying is more than 3.4%.. it could be much more. I'd do an equalization charge for sure. I'd also take a multi-meter and log the voltage of each battery. Possibly charging each one separately to get them to a known good state.

I stumbled onto this thread by trying to find what was an acceptable deviation. I just ran an equalization charge with my multiplus and just added my midpoint lead o the BMV. I'm at .2% (13.74 and 13.69) deviation on my 24v bank of 46v golf cart batteries.

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

Hi neoneddy, thank you for answering. It seems that I was a bit too nervous on this. It now seems to get better from alone. It was never more than 3.5, these days it is at 2 to 2.4.

I will watch this further on and will report :o)

I will also do an equalisation charge, next time I'm on the site.

When do you have the .2 deviation on your golf cart batteries? At floating stage?

Thanks,

Markus

0 Likes 0 ·
neoneddy avatar image
neoneddy answered ·

I was just coming down from Equalization then... as of right now it's at .1 13.81 and 13.8

2 |3000

ezra avatar image
ezra answered ·

Where you able to figure this out Markus? Same situation.

1 comment
2 |3000

markus avatar image markus ♦♦ commented ·

@ezra Hi, yes. This settled down from itself. I was too impatient with the new batteries.

I should have charged them all completely full, before deploying them.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic