question

markko avatar image
markko asked

Why is my multiplus 48/3000 not accepting generator input?

Hi, I have a new off grid set up including generator. Problem is my multiplus 48/3000 is refusing AC input I have compensated for weak ac etc. But still no joy. Any ideas?

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are lots of things to try. We're not sure what you have and have not done.
Instead of us saying try this, try that, please could you have read of this document then we will know what you have read in order to make more constructive suggestions.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/multiplus_faq

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

markko avatar image
markko answered ·

Well I have activated the weak AC fuction in the inverter charger as this is the advice in the manual, but the inverter just stays on inverter mode!

2 |3000

Ole Saether avatar image
Ole Saether answered ·

Have you tried to disable the UPS mode?

2 |3000

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Markko. The Multi is very particular about accepting low quality power, which many generators unfortunately supply. You may hear the transfer relay attempting & declining (quite loud). Not a fault as such, just means a setting change.

WKirby's link is good, and I found the need to go all-the-way to checking the 'Accept Dirty Power' box. I believe it handles that by fooling with the Power Factor from the genny, with an efficiency loss as a penalty. And (my own observation) perhaps a limit on the max power it will accept.

Even 'name brand' gennies can do this. My own Yahama AVR I wouldn't have expected to, but it's a bad offender. Prior to owning my Multi I used a quality standalone ATS which would keep clattering. At least the Multi has the smarts to know when to give up, rather than self-destruct.

And of course, our own Guy up-close: https://www.victronenergy.com/blog/2017/11/27/the-trouble-with-generators/

1 comment
2 |3000

markko avatar image markko commented ·

Cheers guys all good advice and the system is now working, good job as we now have snow!! Great forum

1 Like 1 ·
Craig Robinson avatar image
Craig Robinson answered ·

Make sure the grid is set to none dc not allowed to feed back you need a password to reset it which you can get from your supplier or reload the firmware again to start from scratch

I had this problem also a week geny would only connect if load under 500w on AC out.

Now fixed once set to grid (none)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic