question

jason-reid avatar image
jason-reid asked

Super Cycle AGM maximum charging amps

Hello,

100AH Super Cycle AGM. First time cycling battery was discharged to 76% SOC. Turned on a Renogy 40A DC-DC charger with temperature compensation set to the AGM profile. Smart Shunt was showing voltage at 13.57 and amps at +38. No loads on battery during charging. 38 seems a bit much! Data sheet says low internal resistance and they weren't kidding!

Battery has a stamp on it that says max initial charge of 24A. No literature included with battery and all the data sheets I have found don't specify charging, just use C20 as example for cycle life.

Do I need to install a charger that will not exceed 24A?

Thank you.

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

You should limit the the charge rate to the Specs as advised by the battery supplier at all times.

to get MAX life the charge rate is 0.2C which is 20 amps in your case.

Cycle life
≥ 300 cycles @ 100% DoD (discharge to 10,8V with I = 0,2C₂₀, followed by approximately two hours rest in discharged condition,
and then a recharge with I = 0,2C₂₀)
≥ 700 cycles @ 60% DoD (discharge during three hours with I = 0,2C₂₀, immediately followed by recharge at I = 0,2C₂₀)
≥ 1000 cycles @ 40% DoD (discharge during two hours with I = 0,2C₂₀, immediately followed by recharge at I = 0,2C₂₀)

The above was extracted from the Datasheet-AGM-Super-Cycle-battery-EN pdf file

https://www.victronenergy.com/search/?q=super+cycle

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic