question

giddyup avatar image
giddyup asked

Disconnect Victron MPPT from battery by BMS

I plan on using a SmartSolar MPPT 75/10 connected to a solar panel (probably ~175W) to charge a 120aH LiFePO4 battery that has a (non victron) BMS with a low temperature charge disconnect set to 0 C to protect the cells. This set up isnt in a fixed application like a RV or van, its for tent camping.

If the BMS has stopped the battery input current due to low temp while the solar panels are connected to the MPPT would this damage the charge controller?

I'm aware that I can get the smart battery sense but would prefer not to add an extra component if I dont need it.

In general, would disconnecting the battery from the MPPT while the solar panels are still connected damage the controller? I'd like to have the controller attached to the solar panel so I can then just plug it into the battery when setup when needed.

MPPT SmartSolar
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
jeroend avatar image
jeroend answered ·

You would need to connect the INput and OUTput on the BatteryProtect in reverse to a normal setup but apart from that I see no issue. Using a BatteryProtect to cut the MPPT and subsequent solar) is one of the system examples Victron use too (https://www.victronenergy.nl/upload/documents/DS-Lucians-Victron-Van-Automotive-Solar.pdf )

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.