question

Trina avatar image
Trina asked

4x 100w series into 100/15?

Hi. I have a SmartSolar mppt 100/15 powering a 12v house bank at my garden shed. I also monitor the system with a bmv712.
I currently have 4x 100w panels that on the ABSOLUTE BEST DAYS will output 20.5v each and usually about 5a up to 6.7 but average 4.5a. I once saw 8 amps for just a bit with 3x of the 100w in series but that was a a one time event. They regularly just put out about 4.5~5.6a total. I NEVER run them parallel (don't even have any splitter/joiners)!

We get a LOT of rain and when it's cold in the winter almost no sunlight at all (the panels won't even tirn on the MPPT).
I keep two of the 100w in series plugged in all the time and they put out 39~40v and about 5a give or take on sunny days for a few hours but when needed I add a 3rd into the series to bring the voltage up to 60v.

I would like to add the 4th 100w panel IN SERIES to bring the voltage up to 80v at 4.5~5.6a to run a much longer feed wire from the panels to the MPPT and house bank closer to my house which would be far more convenient than the garden shed where everything currently is at and requires frequent interaction and walking to charge thing daily.

It seems to do fine with the 3x 100w putting out the 60v/ 6a up to 8amp (but super rarely that high, again 99% of the time it is 5.6a or less).

I've used the solar calculator and I always get quoted that I need the FAR more expensive 100/30 at LEAST or even the 150/30 to safely have a 80v/5 to 8 amp setup! But I thought it was 100v and 15a?????

What I want to know is why is my MPPT 100/15 is called a 100v 15a controller if it can suposedly only handle 40v and 8 amps going into my 12 bank? The moment I increase those figures or enter in a series of 4x 100w panels I get quoted the bigger MPPT controllers as necessary despite that at MAX the real world figures are 80v and at MOST ever 8amps and 99% of the time they are actually 90w panels. I could understand running two parallel strings could be iffy but in series, really, that 80v/8a is too much for a 100v/15a controller?

The current house bank is 12v and the max output my system ever does with 3x 100w panels is 240w so far (In 3 years). I don't see how the calculator can be correct in that I need a double-15amps charge controller.

I also considered that it might be 100v max INPUT and 15a MAX conversion OUT which would make more sense in that turning that 80v into my 14.6+v charge in ideal conditions would be maybe a 5.4 multiplier on the amps so my 4.5~5.6a would easily overload a 15a charge controller at x5.4 in an ideal no-conversion losses situation. I have adjusted the figires in the calculator but it still tells me to series 4x 90w panels @ my amps I need at least a 100/30!

So the amps-out on victron charge controllers is all the MPPT's can handle converting amps into then, not the max input? Is that really the case?

solar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

100/15 -> max. 100V PV voltage and max 15A charging current into the battery.
That can be found in the datasheet.
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-SmartSolar-charge-controller-MPPT-75-10,-75-15,-100-15,-100-20,-100-20_48V-EN.pdf

You have already maxed out the MPPT with just 2 of you panels:

With you currently 3S setup you should at least use a 100/20:

And with 4S you need a 100/30:

https://www.victronenergy.com/mppt-calculator

trinasgarden-2s.png (164.5 KiB)
trinasgarden-3s.png (108.8 KiB)
trinasgarden-4s.png (146.8 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Trina avatar image Trina commented ·

Thank you

Dropping real world performance of my panels shows that it could handle the 3S briefly and most of the time but I will need to up the battery to 24v or get a second or bigger controller for summer weather to use more.

My confusion was in amps rating- I thought that was what the MPPT could handle from the solar array.

Now I understand correctly.

0 Likes 0 ·
maxxpwr avatar image
maxxpwr answered ·

Can i ask what the amp hour rating of your battery is? That will help me determine what your setup should look like, it's also worth finding out at the same time what your average solar harvest is per KW for your location (ie mine in Brisbane QLD is 4.6kw per 5kw of panels).

2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Bank is currently 2x GV2 6v in series giving 210ah of which I use maybe 80wh at most.

Not sure average yield KW solar per but sun is not common and most people who try and use solar have HUGE roof arrays just to run their fridge and a backup genny for winter. It's the Pacific Northwest coast of America so LOTS of rain all year round.

I've had double fhe GC2's (420ah) in 12v and 210ah at 24v (either works as I rarely run an inverter).

I would like to use around 200wh a day for a small engel or similar RV refridge like a Dometic cfx45 or Engel 45.

In the last 2 weeks the system generated 2400wh and I used about the same. I've been trying to keep usage to less than 40% of as they're flooded batteries.

I haven't checked the gravity in awhile and should. Sun has been really sporadic this summer with 1 or 2 days of bright sun followed by 2 or 3 days of overcast and rain.

I've been using the system for a few years really sporadically to simply charge small devices (tablets, phones, headlamps, small powerbanks) and I'd charge my laptop and use the fridge at work but with the coronavirus that's done and I will need to use it far more and have it at the house vs in my garden shed.

I also have 2x Silflab 320w (34v STC) grade-b not being used. If I need another MPPT as this one is too small for my 4x "100w" panels it would be nice to hook those up to another controller.

What I'm hoping to do is just run some cheap building wire (I have a big spool of 10/2 or something building wire rated for 260 or 300v) with as high as volts as will get my PV's from my "sunny" garden to my cabin. I would rather pick up two more smaller MPPT's and program them all the same and run separate banks of series PV's at higher voltage to move everything else up to the house

The bigger MPPT's are so expensive and I already have extra wire to make the run to the house a few times (vs 3x the cost for a bigger single MPPT upgrade).

Hope that helps.

Thank you.

2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Just did some calculations.

In totally typical summertime sun for last 2 weeks /14 days

3x 100w renogy rng100dss 5.6a 18~21v mono PVs

12v system 210ah housebank/14.8bulk (interstate)

Yield: 2,330wH

P-max 9~220w: avg.140w

V-max 62.57v (avg 58)

Consumption: 1,750wH

Winter and fall will be far less sun. Could probably plug in 10x panels and only get a few amps at most.

2 |3000

Trina avatar image
Trina answered ·

Sorry for the mess in info above, can not seem to find a way to respond direct and had to add more info and now it's out of order... I should probably edit it all to shorten the relevant info above!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic