question

rom avatar image
rom asked

Is it possible to connect a victron VE.Bus BMS and lithium battery configuration to a Mastervolt system ( comprising of combi charger and inverster control/display)?

Hi All,

Looking to do the mentioned configuration. Will the mastervolt display be able to monitor the victron system? Are there any particular issues anyone may have encountered?

Thanks

BMS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I doubt very much that MasterVolt use VE.Bus which is proprietry protocol of Victron.
So, no the MasterVolt display will not work with the VE.Bus BMS.

Edit: You may be able to use the charge / load disconnect contacts from the bms to signal the MasterVolt system in some way.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

rom avatar image
rom answered ·

But theoretically the system will function correctly just won't display any info?

2 comments
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

That's the theory, yes. I don't know anything about MasterVolt products, whether or not it accepts go / no go contacts to control it I have no idea.
It will not display information, that is correct.

0 Likes 0 ·
rom avatar image rom wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The victron system should function as a standalone system however, is that correct? It will send power to the battery when it senses it needs it and accordingly disconnect it when not needed? The batteries will be connected through a masterbus which will display the battery information through the controller. What particular functions will be missing?

Thanks again

0 Likes 0 ·
Craig Allen avatar image
Craig Allen answered ·

They both support NMEA2000 convertors from their native bus types. I am looking into using this as an option to set charging parameters on the Mastervolt Mass Combi from Victron kit and the BMS. My installation is on a ship with NMEA2000 backbone, so having them talk over NMEA is ok. There are limits though, I believe that individual cell status is only available on the ve.bus and doesn't translate, but global battery information is transmitted onto NMEA2000 from Victron kit

https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/User-Manual-VE.Bus-to-NMEA-2000-interface-EN.pdf

Mastervolt MasterBus again has some native info that is not translated to/from NMEA, but standard information is here, page 8 shows battery and charger messages

https://images.mastervolt.nl/files/10000012741_01MasterBus-NMEA2000_InterfaceEN.pdf

Also, with MasterAdjust you can set up specific translations from NMEA to MasterBus per message as needed, but this can take time.

In summary, they can talk, but you need an interpreter such as NMEA2000 and you lose some of the more brand specific integrations that say Victron to Victron kit or MasterVolt to MasterVolt do. However, charger / inverter status can be passed.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic