question

crakar avatar image
crakar asked

3 x Orion Tr Smart 12/12/ - 30Amp chargers in parallel creating Low Voltage lockout.

I have 3 x 12/12 - 30 Amp Chargers installed in parallel to provide 90 Amps of charge to 5 x 12V/200Ah lithium Batteries in my caravan. Input is from 2 x 12 Volt vehicle batteries (in parallel) being fed by a 220Amp Alternator. The 6m cable through the vehicle 35mm multistrand delivering 13.5 - 14.2 volts at the Anderson plug. The same 35mm cable runs 3m from the Anderson plug to the chargers. Each charger is connected to the feed cable by 6AWG wire fused with 50Amp fuses.

With 1 x charger on, the Bulk charging is constant . With 2 x chargers on, the Bulk charging becomes intermittent due to low voltage lockout. With 3 x chargers on, the low voltage lockout is constant and heat in the feed cable and 50Amp fuses becomes very evident.

Can anyone suggest a reason or remedie please.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

6 Answers
the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

Out of interest, what size Anderson Plug are you using? Sounds like something is limiting the power getting to the chargers.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

crakar avatar image
crakar answered ·

Hi Doon,

I am using 120Amp Anderson plugs

2 |3000

the-doon avatar image
the-doon answered ·

There’s another thread that may have some information similar to your problem. They are working on a fix to an unknown problem. Maybe the fix that’s coming for that might’ve fix your issue. See here-

https://community.victronenergy.com/questions/53946/inconsistent-charging-from-orion-tr-smart-1212-30a.html

2 |3000

ripper avatar image
ripper answered ·

Does that happen on low idle? On low rpm the alternator might not be able to provide the necessary amps and hence voltage drops or the regulator cant open up without a precharge. If it could, it heats up and due to bad cooling it might burn out.

Try two things: Rev the engine up after start up once, then the regulator is charged up and can provide full throttle and see what happens. Mind the overheating of alternator when charging at low idle. It takes only minutes to go into self-destruction

Go high rpm by means of rock on accelarator and then switching on all the chargers, I bet the all come online if the alternator can deliver.

2 |3000

crakar avatar image
crakar answered ·

Thanks for your input The Doon and Ripper, I will re-post when I have a resolve to my issue.

2 |3000

kylemay18 avatar image
kylemay18 answered ·

Any resolution to this issue?

2 |3000