question

suttridge avatar image
suttridge asked

Remote Console Stability - is unable to rectify itself

Hi Victron developers,

I had a case yesterday when for the first time, I was connected to a remote site via the remote console from the VRM portal, but then a couple of hours later, I was unable to connect again to the same site. The Venus GX is on version 2.54. There is no other device running a local console.

In the device list of the VRM portal, the Gateway way showed :-

Remote Console on VRM - Enabled but offline.

There was no way of connecting remotely, and it stubbornly remained so.

After going out to the site this morning, and connecting via the local console, under Settings -> Remote Console, the "Enable on VRM" was set to be on as it has been for many months, while the line below said "Remote Console on VRM - status" showed "Offline".

Without doing anything else (no rebooting of anything on the network or VenusGX), I changed the "Enable on VRM" to off, and then back to on again, and the status then went back from offline to online. I was then able to again connect remotely via the VRM portal.

My question here is that, surely if merely switching the enable on VRM button to off and back on again fixes this, why can't it be done automatically in the software, so that if it goes off line, but it is supposed to be enabled, then it retries until it can get on line again ? I am a software engineer, so I know this should be possible.

It kind of defeats the purpose of having the remote access if you have to go out to the site to turn it off and on again to get it working again. Btw, I have had three Victron installations, two of which I have installed myself and still own and manage, and never seemed to have this problem before.

Best regards, Steve.

remote console
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi Steve, thats strange. And not good to have to travel out indeed!

It does retry by itself; I’m not sure what went wrong here.

We’ll look into it. Thank you for the report,

Matthijs

5 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

suttridge avatar image suttridge commented ·

Thanks Matthijs for the prompt response. BR Steve.

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ suttridge commented ·

Hi Steve, we checked, and couldn't find anything. The next coming Venus OS version, v2.60, contains improvements for Remote console, please await that. If then you have more issues welcome to let me know. Either in this thread, since then I'll get an automatic email - or elsewhere.

All the best, Matthijs

0 Likes 0 ·
suttridge avatar image suttridge mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks Matthijs, it is happening again - VRM portal shows "Remote Console on VRM" - "Enabled but not online". It is not too important at the moment - so don't worry too much about it, and I'll be going out to the site tomorrow again for other reasons, so I can reset it there again.

So I'll wait for v2.60 anyway ...

Best regards,

Steve.

0 Likes 0 ·
mblowes avatar image mblowes suttridge commented ·

I seem to be having a similar problem. including right now . GX is at 2.57 code now. Randomly gets this Enabled but not Online message.. Only seems to happen on the Octo.. Venus at same location has done it once.. but generally is accessible when the Octo is not.

0 Likes 0 ·
mblowes avatar image mblowes mblowes commented ·

I also get similar message for remote support..interestingly it still appears to work (via either victronconnect or ve configure downloaded file)

0 Likes 0 ·
mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

I have the same issue. Venus GX code is at 2.60. The VRM portal shows realtime data but I cannot launch the remote console.

1601904638582.png (4.2 KiB)
2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic