question

d-r avatar image
d-r asked

Orion 12/12/30 at a 12v Vehicle electronics with 24v Motorstarter, does this work ?

Hi,

i rebuilt an old Dumptruck from 1973 to an Offroad family camping truck. Therefore, I am currently planing the electric in housing part.

I will charge a lithium battery with solar panels and an orion tr smart isolated 12/12/30.

Considering that the motorstarter from the truck needs 24v but the rest of the vehicle electronics will run with 12v, I am wondering if this could work with an relay
that change for few seconds the parallel connection to a series connection from the two 12v starter batteries when i press the Start-motor-button?

Are there any issues with 24v with the Orion 12v because it is 12v?

The rest of my Electric system will be like that:
-12v vehicle electronic
-12v alternator
- Orion Tr Smart 12/12/30 (Isolate because the Housing part have no connection to the ground of the truck)
- 360- 540 wp Solarpanel
- EasySolar 12/1600/70
- 100ah Lithium battery

It would be so great if you can help me!

Bests,
David
orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

There are problems here.
First, a starter motor uses a few hundred amps. Having relays reconfigure the battery bank would not be practical. Relay contacts would need to be so big to carry that current and would be unreliable. You really want your truck to start reliably. Have a dedicated 24V start battery.

A 12V Orion will not work on 24V, it will likely be damaged. The maximum input Voltage of a 12V Orion is 17V.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

d-r avatar image
d-r answered ·

Sry I think I used the wrong word. Is not a relay is a battery switch in my case from Bosch. Which is switching between 12v and 24v.

This whole construction is build since the truck is build. So it is working for the last 47 years.

Here is this thing. Sorry i couldn't find an English translate website.

One idea was to plug an on/off switch between the Orion the battery so I can switch it offnbefore I start the motor a turn it on after the motor is running.

2 |3000