question

Simon Phillips avatar image
Simon Phillips asked

Light Cycling Deep Cycle Victron AGMs and Skip days

Hi I have 5 x 110 Victron 110Ah deep Cycle AGM's . We are only currently cycling them very lightly due to summer and lots of solar so DoD is only 5-10% per day . My Solar controller has a skip day and rebulk feature and its been suggested that we use it to avoid over cycling the batteries so in summary it would keep the batteries in float for a number of set days or a voltage set point is reached before instigating a bulk / Absorb cycle and charging them up to 100% again .

Any thoughts on this ? good idea or not ? at the moment the batteries are getting alot of mini cycles which I am not sure is good or not . Thinking it might be better to leave in float for a few days and allow them to deplete to say 20-25% before recharging them to limit cycles .

Cheers Si

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Simon.

Your batts won't deplete in Float mode. They'll still charge, albeit more slowly. But that won't hurt them, and they'll work their way to 100% charge anyway. Even Storage mode will do that.

The standard Victron charge algorithms would likely suffice for your application. Maybe the kit you're using (you don't say) has all that aboard, maybe even dropping into Storage under little use, and giving them an Absorb stir-up every week or so.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Simon Phillips avatar image
Simon Phillips answered ·

Hi John Thanks for your reply . I have a Midnite Classic 150 . All other kit is Victron but had to move away for solar controller due to lack of diversion mode support unfortunately . Midnite is very good though and does have some neat additional features like ending amps to terminate Absorb when batteries are actually full which is very helpful . It also has this rebulk and skip feature so as you say I think I might set that up to leave in float for a couple or three days then rebulk and absorb on day 4 and see how we go .

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic