question

nemo5 avatar image
nemo5 asked

US3000 not shown on venus

I have installed 3 x Pylontech US3000 an a Venus GX device. CAN Bus BMS is sset according to https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom but I don't see y pylontech entry on venus. I checked the wiring of the can cable as in https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable all OK, terminator set. What can be the reason that the battery is not shown on venus?

Do I have to set anything else? Are there any settings on multiplus needed that the battery is shown?

Pylontech
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Can you please post a few photos of the installation?

Are you using the VE.Can port with the plug, or the can port with the terminal connectors on the Venus GX?

Are you using the official Victron Type B cable or a self made cable?

0 Likes 0 ·
nemo5 avatar image nemo5 Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

i replied to myself, so see below...

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
nemo5 avatar image
nemo5 answered ·

Thanks for your answer.

I use the official Type B cable with VE.Can port. CAN-Bus (1) set to CAN-BMS (500k)

2.jpg (52.6 KiB)
3.jpg (43.1 KiB)
4.png (12.6 KiB)
8 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Just to rule it out, can you please take a screenshot of the services menu options on the GX device?

0 Likes 0 ·

I have switched to english now.

0 Likes 0 ·
5.png (17.9 KiB)

And the options inside the two CAN-Bus menus please.

0 Likes 0 ·

It's the same for the two busses.

First pic CAN1, 2nd and 3rd CAN2

0 Likes 0 ·
7.png (27.8 KiB)
8.png (27.3 KiB)
9png.png (12.7 KiB)
nemo5 avatar image nemo5 nemo5 commented ·

@Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager)

what else can I do to get a solution?

Can you meassure the voltage between CAN_L an CAN_H on CAN1 or CAN2? As both give me 0V I don't think my venus is defekt (I had not used CAN2)

0 Likes 0 ·

The next step in troubleshooting that I would do is try isolating different Pylontech batteries. Using a different single battery or 2 if necessary, and seeing if they show up.

If that fails, I would begin to suspect the cable.

Do you have the tools to crimp your own cable?

Or possibly another donor cable that you could sacrifice? Can be any RJ45 ethernet cable.

If yes to either of those, the pin layout to the cable is shown here - https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:can-bus_bms-cable

I'd careful cut and strip the normal ethernet cable, snip the unused pairs, and then connect the copper as described in that table for type B cables to the CANbus 2 terminals on the Venus GX. The terminal block to connect those wires too should be in the box for the Venus GX (it is not shown in your image, just the pins).

Then plug the intact RJ45 into the Pylontech CAN port.

That said, if there was someone else I could call who supplied me the equipment, I would also be talking to them too.

0 Likes 0 ·

I had allread tested with another battery.

Today I had meassured with an oszi. Pylontech sends correct data. If I connect Venus the data looks wrong. As the can idle votages are wrong too on venus I think my venus is broken.

0 Likes 0 ·

Probelm is solved now. I got a new venus device and now I see the battery.

0 Likes 0 ·
nemo5 avatar image
nemo5 answered ·

Today I had done some meassurments on the CAN-Bus with my multimeter (DC-Values):

1) Typ B CAN Cable on Pylontech, meassured on Victron Side of Cable without venus and without termiantor: GND to CAN-L: 1,7V, GND to CAN-H: 3,1V -> OK

2) CAN Cable connected on pylontech and venus, meassured on venus without terminator: GND to CAN-L: 0V (~3mV), GND to CAN-H: 0V -> Venus seems to shorten CAN Signals!

3) CAN Typ B Cable only on venus, no terminator: GND to CAN-L: 0V, GND to CAN-H: 0V -> CAN bus on Venus is not working

I had also meassured that one CAN-Bus Terminator has about 30Ohm instead of 120Ohm. Maybe this wrong victron terminator had killed venus can bus?

On Venus ifconfig gives me:

can0      Link encap:UNSPEC  HWaddr 
00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00-00  
          UP RUNNING NOARP  MTU:16  Metric:1
          RX packets:67 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:0 errors:0 dropped:20 overruns:0 carrier:20
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:100 
          RX bytes:536 (536.0 B)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 B)
          Interrupt:167 

without can cable attached. RX does not increade when pylontech is connected, but understandable because venus seem to shorten can signals.

2 |3000