question

mrft avatar image
mrft asked

Upgrading to Grafana Vs. 7.0 or newer

Good day. Would it be possible for Grafana to be upgraded to Version 7 within the venus-docker-grafana container?

grafana
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Scott Bender avatar image
Scott Bender answered ·

I've built a new image with 7.0.4, but I have not made it the default yet. If you would like to try it out, please modify the docker-compose.yaml file that you downloaded.

Change "image: "victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana:latest" to "image: "victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana:2.0.0"

Please let me know how it goes.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mrft avatar image mrft commented ·

Thanks Scott. I will try it and give you feedback.

0 Likes 0 ·
mrft avatar image mrft commented ·

Thanks Scott. It's working great.

0 Likes 0 ·
warren-b avatar image warren-b commented ·

Any idea as to why, when I update the .yaml file to pull 2.0.0, I can't save any changes to the default dashboard?

0 Likes 0 ·
insanesplash avatar image
insanesplash answered ·

I decided to remove the Influxdb and Grafana containers from the Victron Venus docker image and run the tools locally on the host. This way I can use them for multiple projects and keep them updated without affecting the Victron Venus image provided. (I also disabled UPNP and manually added my Venus GX)

1 comment
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented ·

I also installed Grafana and InfluxDB as a standalone service on the host. However, I haven't finished the last part yet.

Can you please give me a hint as to where the CONF file can be found and with which tools it is done?

0 Likes 0 ·
billknny avatar image
billknny answered ·

Just to bump this back up again. My understanding is that Grafana 7.4 added the ability to have a graph with more than 2 y-axis. This would be a HUGE capability addition.

If a Version 7.4 or later could be added that would be huge...

By the way the 7.04 version works fine...

1 comment
2 |3000

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Bill, thanks for the reminder. At the moment we have no one on our staff available to take care of this. Pull Requests very welcome!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hey all, good news: we published new versions to Docker just now, having Grafana 7.5.1.

This new version of Grafana adds a feature to transform data before showing it, as well as other improvements.

See here for the change log: https://github.com/grafana/grafana/blob/master/CHANGELOG.md. And I'm sure Grafana also wrote some nice blog posts explaining their new features.

The version of influx hasn't changed, its still 1.7.

Note that I don't know how to update Grafana while keeping your data (which is in influx). I'm sure there are ways though.

4 comments
2 |3000

Ulrich avatar image Ulrich commented ·

Thanks a lot for this.

InfluxDB backup and restore can be done via the command line.

https://docs.influxdata.com/influxdb/v1.8/administration/backup_and_restore/

0 Likes 0 ·
billknny avatar image billknny commented ·

This is great! Thank you!

I have Grafana/Influx/Docker on a R-pi running alongside my CerbeGX. Originally, I had planned on it as a backup to VRM to show time series data during those times when our sailboat is unconnected to the internet, but it has proven so flexible, it's now my go-to tool for monitoring my system.

This update will make it even better!

0 Likes 0 ·
new-energytoday avatar image new-energytoday billknny commented ·
Me to. Running Grafana on the Raspberry PI alongside my Cerbo. Very nice!

Does anybody know how to update the Grafana version on the RPi without destroying the connection to InfluxDB?

Grtz Wim

0 Likes 0 ·
warren-b avatar image warren-b commented ·

@mvader (Victron Energy), thanks for the update! I have two questions:

• Will the version of influxdb be updated to 1.8 or later in the near future? Being able to use the new Flux language and queries would be great.
  • Are the correct files uploaded to the Docker hub for the latest version of Grafana for the armhf architecture? I am new to docker, so I might be missing something, but it looks like both the armhf- 2.0.1 and 2.0.2 tags are actually in linux/amd64 architecture.

Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic