question

Wayne avatar image
Wayne asked

Small inverter used as ess system.

Hello, newbie here so please have patience

I've just acquired a used solar kit consisting of three 250w panels, a victron 12/1200/50 multiplus inverter, a victron mppt 100/30 and two large 6v rolls lead acid batteries for €300.

It was used in a small off grid setup which I was thinking of using to power my garage and caravan as it's already setup for that task.

But I was also thinking of using it in our main house which has grid connection?

If I used it in this situation could I use it as an ess setup? Using the batteries for evening usage and grid as backup or in the event of needing extra power from the grid when required?

I've read that I'd need a gx monitoring system to use ess and read that a raspberry pi can be used for this task as I already have one.

I think I'd need a usb to mppt cable and a MK3 usb cable.

I believe I'd also need the MK3 cable to setup the inverter for grid/ess usage.

My questions are:

Is it worth using this as an ess system in the house, it's a small system but we are low consumers.

Is there any other items I need apart from the mentioned cables, is a battery monitor required?

Thank you in advance

solar sizing
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@Wayne

I don't see why using the system as an ess system would not be worth it. It is big enough to power your fridge, lights and smaller appliances like TV or laptop.

We have a 3kva and our base load for lights TV, wifi, laptop and fridge is about 500W with the fridge running.

Saved one third of our power consumption using it with ess not running the batteries down in case of power outage which happens alot here.

You are on the right track in your research. And the items you need. The battery monitor is not entirely necessary at the internal SOC is pretty decent and the CCGX displays all you need. We added a BMV to our system but we have lithiums and wanted a way to cycle count and other features.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Thank you so much for your reply.

Yes I thought it would be worth doing and maybe upgrading later if required.

So I need to order a MK3 usb cable and a usb to mppt and then try the raspberry, or a proper GX controller such as a Venus?

Thank you so much.

2 |3000

Wayne avatar image
Wayne answered ·

Could I ask another question?

I'd be wiring the inverter parallel on the AC in connection on the inverter.

Is it essential to use an AC sensor in this setup?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic