question

endurance35 avatar image
endurance35 asked

Orion - Tr smart Dc Dc charger rating

Hi knowledgeable people on Victron products.....

let me explain my set up first before asking the question, I’m in the process of setting up a new 12 Dc system,

I have a Victron lifePo4 200ah battery leisure,
AGM battery for starter/anchor winless

A Orion Tr Smart Dc Dc charger 12/12-30

Alternator 45amp 540 watts (Non smart)

1 : The lifePo4 recommended charge current is < 100A do you think the alternator and the Dc Dc charger can cope with the charging of the leisure battery

Or

would I be better of upgrading the alternator for more amps so it won’t be working so hard to produce the power needed.

Thanks

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Endurance35,

please be aware that your Alternator most probably is undersized for the Orion Tr-smart 12/30. The Orion will put out up to 40A (@25°C) and something between 30-35A if the the unit gets hotter. And it will get hot. Given the efficiency of Alternators (between 50-70%) in general, it could destroy your Alternator due to overheating during a longer charge phase because the Alternator always will run at its limits.

If you have the chance, go for at least a 70A Alternator.

I've the same problem with a 50A Alternator and the 12/30. So far I control the Orion manually because I can't get a bigger sized Alternator that fits into a tight space.

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

lepa1973 avatar image lepa1973 commented ·

How do you control manual the dc dc charger ? I am in the same situation, the alternator is rated at 50 amps and the charger at 30 amps.

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ lepa1973 commented ·

Hi @Lepa1973,

by using the VictronConnect app and connecting to the Orion. It has a virtual on/off switch. I let the charger running for about an hour and then let the alternator cool down for another 15 minutes. Then starting over again. Sub optimal, I know.

That's why I ordered a Balmar 6-series alternator together with the Max Charge 614 regulator now. This setup will drive my LFP bank and then using the Orion 12-18 to charge my starter battery from LFP.

0 Likes 0 ·
lepa1973 avatar image lepa1973 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

You mean the lock-out value ? At what value ?

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ lepa1973 commented ·

No. Go to Settings/Battery settings. There's the switch to enable/disable charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
img-4450.png (338.2 KiB)
endurance35 avatar image
endurance35 answered ·

Hi Stefaine.......I was thinking down this path that I would upgrade the alternator, I’m thinking maybe 100 or 150 amp alternator Balmar would be good have you any suggestions on that ?

Thank you for your time,

3 comments
2 |3000

Of course, Balmar is top of the art when it comes to regulated Alternator control and fits perfectly into a Lithium setup, if you want to make such a big investment. Downside: it requires quite some space, new pulleys and belts and it also depends on horse power of your engine. And your Orion is limited to ~30A, so that would be a bit of a waste for such a big horse.

0 Likes 0 ·
endurance35 avatar image endurance35 Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Stefanie,
Yes it is the top of the range for alternator’s Balmar, I’ve seen one on parts4engines 90amp which should fit for the Orion Smart it’s not a Balmar but it will do the job

https://www.parts4engines.com/perkins-4-108-alternator/

I’d like to keep in contact with if possible as you seem to give good advice with regard to Victron products

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ endurance35 commented ·

Well, I always can be wrong. The Victron product range is so diverse with all its different features and especially the variety of protocols. I learn a lot of new things every day.

Keep an eye to all the other fantastic and helpful people here as well who know much more than I do.

0 Likes 0 ·