julianmingham avatar image
julianmingham asked

Configuration for live-aboard a sailing boat

Hi,

I have:

4 x Victron Super Cycle AGM batteries as my house bank

1 x Optima AGM battery for engine starting

1 x BMV-702 with BT dongle

1 x SmartSolar 100/20 charging the house bank (250W panel)

1 x Blue Smart mains charger 12/30/3 connected to house bank and to engine start battery

Due to 'the plague' I am long term living on my boat in a marina in the south of Portugal, so warm and sunny most days with available mains power.

What setup should I use to maximise battery life ?, e.g. :

a) Use only the mains charger and disconnect the solar controller

b) Use the solar controller and switch the mains charger off

c) Use both the mains charger and the solar controller

I have tested all of the above scenario's and they all seem to work OK, but which is best or does it not make much difference ?

thanks

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
sebastianlehmann avatar image
sebastianlehmann answered ·

From my expertise on batteries and boats, the AGM and generally Lead Acid batteries, they like to be top up most of the time, this means fully charged.

My recomendation is, if charger is doing its job and mppt is doing its job let them both work just make sure they stop pushing when batteries are full, and;

in the worst case scenario, let say you discover your batteries half or more dishcarged, just make sure you are not pushing too much amps for charging them fully up again.

General rule is to charge them 20% amp capacity (this is no more tan 20 amp of charging on a 100AH battery and ideal no less tan 10%)

and never leave your AGM partially discharged after using them.

hope it helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic