question

finn avatar image
finn asked

is it Ok to use 63Ah/ 360V Noark Non Polarised Circuit Breakers instead of Fuses?

G,day Everyone,

I'm in the process of upgrading my solar charging system in from a Epever Tracer to a Victron Smart Solar MPPT 100/50 controller and a Evpower BCU-NEV.

My system is 12V with no inverter or external charging option other than solar, I have 4 x 130Ah Winston LYP Cells 3.3V each and three 12V 150W solar panels, the largest power draw would be 15Ah at any one time.

Previously I had this system for 3 years with the Epever tracer just using Blade fuses to protect the system.

My Question is it Ok to use 63Ah/ 360V Noark Non Polarised Circuit Breakers instead of Fuses?

In the attached Diagram I have sketched out my wiring configuration and I would like peoples opinions on what I need to change to improve safety?

Cheers

Finn

system design
1589450805532.png (818.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
klim8skeptic avatar image
klim8skeptic answered ·

Hi Finn,

As long as your cabling is rated to not catch fire before the breakers trip, it look ok to me.

On a side note, I use a Micro-08 and a BMV700 to protect my cells, the micro-08 keeps an eye on cell voltages, and the BMV keeps an eye on the overall battery voltage.

Have you worked out the cost benefit using a BCU-NEV vs a Micro-08 and a BMV712?

The BMV will network with the mppt and do voltage compensation, and low temp charge disable.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

nigelfxs avatar image
nigelfxs answered ·

Hi Finn

It is very important to only use DC-Rated circuit breakers in your diagram above. I am not sure which model Noark breaker you are using - but I have successfully used the "Ex9BP-N" range. AC-rated circuit breakers can catch fire if they try to interrupt DC current - Google will find some interesting videos on this!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic