question

southace avatar image
southace asked

Why is my new Bmv 712 showing 99%

battery capacity
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

southace avatar image southace commented ·

The 700 amp battery's are at 12.7 and the percentage is still saying 99% it should be more like 80/70 I would have though?

0 Likes 0 ·
img-1740.png (162.8 KiB)
4 Answers
southace avatar image
southace answered ·

Any help much appreciated

7 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

harold avatar image harold commented ·

?? your SOC is 100%, but your mid-point deviation is 99%

I think your BMV settings are not correctly setup

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image southace harold commented ·

It's now showing 12.6 and still stating 100% charged?

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image dennis southace commented ·

Did you connect the shunt in the wrong way?

0 Likes 0 ·
harold avatar image harold southace commented ·

Don't use the V, to indicate the SOC, SOC is about real A gone in and out your battery!

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image dennis harold commented ·

Is the Ah Value correct in settings? Did you test a discharge after charging to maximum voltage? If the battery is fully charged, you should try a zero point adjustment like shown in manual.

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image southace dennis commented ·

So I need to charge my batteries to 14.4 and then reset?

0 Likes 0 ·
dennis avatar image dennis southace commented ·

If settings are correct and shunt is correct. Charge batteries to full and reset soc via app. Then the percentage should fall if you turn on load.

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image
southace answered ·

How do I set that up? Does the Bmv not do this?

1 comment
2 |3000

southace avatar image
southace answered ·

So this morning with my fridge running I'm still seeing 99% state of charge? My old battery monitor would say about 75 to 80% in the morning. Any ideas? Battery's are set at 600 amphr

img-1743.png (161.3 KiB)
6 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

What batteries do you have?
Is the shunt wired correctly?

Your screenshot says "consumed Ah: -12Ah" -> with 600Ah in total this should be 98% (maybe a rounding error)

I think of 2 possible problems:
1. you entered way to much Ah in the settings
2. not all loads are connected correctly to the shunt

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image southace Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

I have 8x 120amp deep cycle battery's , all my power is going through the shunt correctly as I can see the minus current in the status section when utility's kick in. Just seems the state of charge is not moving under 95% . My replaced battery monitor would drop down to 85% when the fridge kicks in and be on around 75% after a night without any charge.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ southace commented ·

So you have 960Ah not 600Ah.

Maybe the old battery monitor wasn't correctly configured?

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image southace Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

The old battery monitor only went to 600amp setting was a NASA bm1 compact. Still at 12.7 volts I should still see 90% gone not 99% wouldn't you think?

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image porcini southace commented ·

Look at my answer. If it matches everything is working correct. The Victron is the most accurate Pb-battery Monitor on the market. The configuration is a bit tricky, but with correct settings it is very accurate. And btw you buy a BMV for not needing to consider the voltage.

0 Likes 0 ·
southace avatar image southace porcini commented ·

The NASA only went to 600amp had no choice.

0 Likes 0 ·
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

At the first start the BMV can't know the correct SOC. This unit starts with 100% in newer firmwares (this can be disabled) which means if your battery was not at 100% at the moment the BMV was connected, the SOC is shown wrong. The only thing you have to do is to charge your battery until it is really fully charged. As long as the settings and also wiring are correct everything works fine then. Are the settings the same as in the old unit? You can get a current clamp to check if measurement is correct. When the BMV is showing 0W when all loads are disconnected it should work well. Otherwise it has to be calibrated.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic