question

midsummerenergy avatar image
midsummerenergy asked

RCD Tripping Multi-II ESS

A customer in the UK with a Grid-Tied ESS installation is reporting intermittent tripping of the RCD located at the main consumer unit and a sub-board, between the grid and the Multiplus-II AC Input. The property uses a PME Earth connection at the transformer in the street. The AC Output is in use for two LED lighting circuits (probably SELV). I believe the RCD is a standard AC type 30mA.

This system had been operating correctly for years with a 5kVA Multiplus (not -II) which was replaced recently with the Multi-II 5kVA. The nuisance tripping is intermittent; sometimes every day, sometimes every few days. The customer has not noticed any pattern as of yet, other than it often occurs when the Multi is switched on (and goes into Inverter mode presumably). The Multi is on Firmware 467.

UK Country Code (G98/99) is setup, and this prevents toggling the Ground Relay (I think it is default off with this code?).

I've browsed Wiring Unlimited and other questions here to ascertain the reason but still coming up short. I realise cumulative leakage may be a likely cause, but the only circuits appear to be LED lighting on the AC Output. Earth Loop Impedance tests have been carried out by an electrician on site on the AC Output (UPS circuits) while in Pass-through Mode, and the results were fine.

The Multiplus was moved to a different sub-board (with its own RCD using an isolated Ground Rod) to try and prevent this, yet the system still tripped that RCD, which would seem to narrow down the issue to the Multi or the UPS circuits.

We are attempting to isolate the UPS circuits (and bypass the Multi and sub-board) as well as leaving the unit switched off for a few days, to see if the nuisance tripping continues. After that we'll try swapping the Multi.

Seems like quite a common question! I was wondering if anyone has any further thoughts on investigating this? Thanks

Multiplus-IIESS
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
ejrossouw avatar image
ejrossouw answered ·

Hi @midsummerenergy. Do you have an E, L & N on ACIN or only L & N?

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

midsummerenergy avatar image midsummerenergy commented ·

Hi, AC Input has Live, Neutral, Earth using the grid PME.

0 Likes 0 ·
ejrossouw avatar image ejrossouw midsummerenergy commented ·

Do you have the multi's case earthed as well as I in a fixed installation this should not be necessary since you have a stable earth from grid PME. Just a thought.

0 Likes 0 ·
ispookie666 avatar image
ispookie666 answered ·

Did you manage to solve this? I have a similar problem but only when the multiplus shuts down due to low battery voltage, when the mains come back - the RCD on consumer unit trips.

1 comment
2 |3000

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·
Unfortunately I have the same problem now and I'm not able to connect the grid again. When connecting the grid the RCP tripps after a frew seconds.
0 Likes 0 ·