question

rickicook avatar image
rickicook asked

Smart Shunt use cases.

Hi,

I have two questions. I’ve been waiting for a stand-alone shunt ever since I bought the BMV712. So this is fantastic. My questions are,

I’d like to use the 1000 or 2000 amp unit on my vehicles starter battery to monitor it’s state of charge & to make sure my accessories & auxiliary battery system aren’t using all of my alternators available current & starving the starter battery of charge. Would this be ok with instant cranking & heavy winching demands?

Second, I’m currently exploring the rest of the Victron product range, including solar chargers. My DC-DC charger is a 3rd party, but I would love to be able to monitor it via the GX devices, or event just the Connect App. Could this shunt be used in a dumb down state, less of a battery monitor, more of a simple voltage & current monitor for the input side of a DC-DC charger. The BMV712 is already on the battery side. The hope here is to allow the GX to visibly show where the curr ent is being supplied from, just as it would if it was a networked Victron DC-DC. I understand this would be less desirable to Victron as the goal would be to sell your DC-DC chargers, however there are applications where current & voltage may want to be monitored as part of a larger system not yet catered for, such as monitoring discrete loads as opposed to just current draw on the battery. Being able to label that in the app & monitor it via VRM could be a great use of this.

system design
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Gerrit avatar image
Gerrit answered ·

Hi Rici. Thank you for your question. We do have the smart shunt series available in 500, 1000 and 2000 amp shunts. Depending what engine you are cranking but if it is a Diesel engine +- 3000cc the I would comfortably recomend the 1000 Amp model for extended cranking occasion. Take note the SmartShunt also comes with a temperature sensor that you connect to the + to also power the shunt electronics. This is a nice to have!

As for your second question, we have a Smart Battery Sense. You can connect the device on your 3rd party dc to dc charger to measure the voltage and temperature, this is a low cost product and limited to only view voltage and temperature on the VictronConnect app.

Have a look at our new Orion Smart TR DC to DC chargers, perhaps one day you can upgrade your 3rd party DC DC...

Take care.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic