question

tunde-olaoye-1 avatar image
tunde-olaoye-1 asked

PV Assistant vs ESS

hey people

I have an installation with 8kVa Quattro and 8kW Fronius with CCGX. The installation was off grid in Nigeira but now I am getting grid connection. However the grid connection is rural, it was unstable and power can be turned off for days.

In this situation the grid may be off for days, is the ESS still the assistant to use. If the the grid connection is there but no power also potentially no voltage. I am unsure if the ESS will still increase the PV inverter frequency.

Any thoughts?

ESSoffgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Murray van Graan avatar image
Murray van Graan answered ·

Hi @tunde-olaoye. The ESS assistant does apply frequency shifting when the grid has failed, and as such should be fine for your application

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mr-manuel avatar image mr-manuel commented ·
Can it be, that the ESS PV Inverter frequency shift in off grid mode behaves in another way than the PV Inverter assistant does?
0 Likes 0 ·
sharpener avatar image sharpener mr-manuel commented ·

I don't think so. The three default frequency settings in both Assistants are the same (they may need to be changed to suit your PV inverter). So you are better off using ESS Assistant as it will definitely work with or without a grid connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ sharpener commented ·

The main difference is the PV assistant on grid/generator connect will switch off the AC PV.

Where as ESS will run it with grid connected. Power cuts are plentiful in Africa, the AC PV runs with ESS when that happens.

0 Likes 0 ·
mr-manuel avatar image
mr-manuel answered ·

Someone knows on what it depends that the ESS or PV assistant shifts the frequency In detail? In the assistant description https://www.victronenergy.com/live/assistants:pv-inverter-support it says that there are default limits, but I‘m using an 18S LFP battery system, with a max voltage of 64 V. The BMS of this battery is connected to the GX device and the min and max cell voltages are available, as also the CVL, CCL and DCL. DVCC is enabled. Will the assistant use this values or only the values configured with VE.Config in the charger tab?

2 |3000