question

neverbecloser avatar image
neverbecloser asked

BMV-712 & charging on solar

Morning! We have 4 6V batteries connected to our BMV-712 (5th wheel RV set up). I am charging the system with a 200W portable Zamp solar panel and the panel says I am getting 2 AH, but when I connect it to my battery system, the reading in the Victron app doesn’t show any change to the “current” reading. Should I see a change to the current with just 2 AH of charge coming in, or is that too finite of a value to notice a difference?

The solar cable is connected to the factory installed port on the 5th wheel... which then connects into the battery system. I would expect that to just be a plug-n-play type set up (I don’t think I could do that part wrong). I do NOT have an inverter connected (don’t think that matters, but just so everyone has full details).

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Closer. If your Zamp kit is showing 'Ah' (yeh a small h), then that is a progressive reading, not an instantaneous one. For that you'll need to see plain 'A'. Ah should continue to accumulate over the day, and if it doesn't then it's not charging. A 200W panel at a nominal 12V is 16A odd. Maybe your cc is 15A max, so over an hour will accumulate 15Ah (in theory).

If the BMV is wired correctly, and showing no current to your batts, then you'll likely need to check your wiring/polarity/etc. Yeh, look for A..

Good luck.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic