question

mike-g avatar image
mike-g asked

Is the VDI-32 galvanic isolator a failsafe design?

Does the VDI-32 meet the ABYC A-28 standard and continue to provide a ground path even if one or both diodes have failed?

isolators
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
kai avatar image
kai answered ·

Conjectures from someone with an elec background -

I'm not Victron nor a design engineer of galvanic isolators - If the diodes fail I suspect you'll lose the ground path (at least at time of failure). The diodes have to be placed in the ground path for the concept to work.

Now, whether device is able to detect the failure and indicate that failure, or put it into a failsafe state and bypass, I don't know. If I had to guess, I don't see any LEDs on the VDI-32 casing, so my guess would be no.

fyi, ABYC just put out an email saying that's now a new online course on galv isolators.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mike-g avatar image
mike-g answered ·

Thanks, but I'm looking for confirmation from somebody with direct knowledge. FYI, the Mariner Pro-safe does not have indicator lights but is a failsafe design.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic