question

scollyhop avatar image
scollyhop asked

Victron Battery Balancer for LiFePO4 without internal cell balancing from the BMS

Hi,

I have recently purchased 2 x 12V LionTron LiFePO4 batteries which I wanted to connect in series for 24V - upon reading the manual I could see that they weren't capable of connecting in series. I'm guessing because the BMS doesn't have internal cell balancing.

Could I use the Victron Battery Balancer to connect these in 24V without issues, or what other products from Victron could I use?

Battery Balancer
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hello @ScollyHop, unfortunately if your battery specifications say that they cannot be connected in series, there is no add-on product from Victron or any other manufacturer that will allow you to safely do so.

Besides the possible balancing issue, there is also the issue that the internal BMS of those batteries would probably see a series connection as an over-voltage condition and would most likely -in fact should- shut down both batteries.

Regrettably, with those batteries you're stuck at 12v unless you return/sell them and purchase a different battery that is expressly capable of series connection.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic