question

rodney-abbott-buchanan avatar image
rodney-abbott-buchanan asked

Will a switch installed into the remote bridge of the Orion-Tr Smart override the engine detection function?

Hello

Will a 'remote' switch placed to the Orion-Tr Smart completely turn it off?

I have the black wire jumper in place. I was solar charging the auxiliary starter battery this morning and BMV alarmed with over voltage to the Lithium service battery, due to the Orion-Tr Smart being in Absorption charge mode, engine off.

orion-tr smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
safiery avatar image
safiery answered ·

@rodney abbott-buchanan Yes, it will definitely disable charging function. It is still visible on bluetooth so it is not "completely off". We have many installed now using engine detect and some with remote switch used.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

philip-m avatar image
philip-m answered ·

@rodney abbott-buchanan

So, is my understanding correct that some sort of switch (that will turn the unit off) must be installed --- ie: it will not automatically turn off unless there is either a manual or ignition controlled switch??

Thanks so much

1 comment
2 |3000

Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ commented ·

With the remote bridge installed, the Orion-Tr Smart operation is fully automatic; that is, it will turn on and start charging whenever the source battery is over the selected voltage preset (say, for this instance, 13.6v). Under normal conditions, the only time the source battery will be over 13.6v is when the vehicle is on and the alternator is charging the battery, but in the above instance the user is charging the source battery with solar, thus raising the battery voltage and so the Orion turned on and started charging the house battery - as indeed it is designed to do.

The way to avoid this is to wire a simple open/shut toggle switch to the remote bridge (in place of the jumper wire installed into the bridge) and open the switch whenever source to house charging is not desired.

0 Likes 0 ·