question

Michael Bell avatar image
Michael Bell asked

CCGX logging to VRM only once, on restart

My CCGX Color Control is failing to upload log data to VRM after the first upload. My CCGX only uploads data to VRM after a reboot of the CCGX, or after a reboot of my Router-Modem. It uploads the backlog of data, but it does not subsequently upload any data after the backlog of records have been sent.

I have tried various log interval settings.

I have performed the CCGX to VRM troubleshooting steps. The CCGX is connected to the Router-Modem by WiFi, it has a valid IP address, and the WiFi signal strength is strong. My Modem-Router (TP Link TL-MR6400) uses a 4G data connection to the internet, as it is a remote site and no wired or cable broadband services are available.

The PING response time from my site to vrm.victronenergy.com is 400-500 milliseconds.

VRM Portal ID: e8eb11e5350a

CCGX Firmware version: 2.18

Can you please advise how I can get my CCGX to perform regular logging to VRM?

VRMCCGX Color Control
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi Michael. For starters, try forcing the latest CCGX firmware, 2.22. I'm not so sure the 'auto update' has been working so well recently. Just me, but I had to force it too..

Mightn't fix your issue, just a start point..

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

My first target for troubleshooting would be some kind of issue with the wifi internet connection from CCGX to router.

Can you eliminate that potential by running an ethernet, or an ethernet over powerline adaptor connection?

2 |3000

Michael Bell avatar image
Michael Bell answered ·

I have an update to provide on this issue.

I found that my modem was only capable of connecting to the internet using 3G not 4G, as it was unable to use the 700Mhz 4G frequency favoured by my mobile internet service provider.

I swapped to a modem that was capable of a 700MHz 4G connection, and the problem went away.

This suggests the 3G connection was either too slow, or the latency was too great, for the CCGX to maintain a connection to VRM. Victron could probably allow for this by coding the CCGX to VRM API to have a longer timeout, to deal with low bandwidth, high latency internet connections.

For my installation, this issue is now resolved.

2 |3000