question

juliian-buss avatar image
juliian-buss asked

Charging AGM Super Cycle with an old Victron Centaur 24/70 without temperatur sensor?

I have a Centaur 24/70 charger which has only a built-in temperatur sensor, no sensor to attach to a battery. My battery bank consist of 4 x 12V 230Ah, two in series and these packs in parallel to have 460Ah 24V.

I'd like to exchange my old batteries for Victron AGM Super Cycle 230Ah. In order to prevent thermal runaway I read it's recommended to use a charger with a temperature sensor attached to a battery pole.

On the other hand as far as I learned a thermal runaway can occur if the battery is charged with too much current. My Centaur 24/70 is capable of 70A which would be about 15% of the bank's capacity, so well below the recommended max 30%.

So, is it fine to charge AGM Super Cycle with the Centaur 24/70 with temperature compensation based on ambient temperature but without battery temperature sensor?

AGM Battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Yes its fine until something goes wrong, It suspect its not been a issue for you before so it should not be now.

the temp compensation basically reduces the charge output as the battery temp rises,

The centura monitors the room temp and presumes that the batteries are at the same temperature this is all it can do.

If there is concern then put some form of battery temp monitoring in. Victron do have a bluetooth Voltage and Temp Monitor (Smart Battery Sense) that connected to the victron connect app or to a BMV712 or smartsolar reg etc etc

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic