question

vaughancoke avatar image
vaughancoke asked

SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 and a Raspberry Pi 3+ with Venus OS - Device List empty

Hey all,

I don't know if I'm just doing something really silly, but I can not get my SmartSolar MPPT 100/20 to communicate with Venus OS that I have installed on a Raspberry Pi. When I access the menu on Venus OS all i see is Notifications and Settings as options. I have the MPPT device connected to the Raspberry Pi using a Victron VE.Direct to USB cable. Do I need to enable a setting in the MPPT device, or in Venus to get this working? It feels like I've missed a step somewhere.

Any help would be greatly appreciated

MPPT ControllersVenus OSRaspberry PiVE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Hannelore Winter avatar image
Hannelore Winter answered ·

@vaughancoke

Have you ever tried to restart the Raspi (with the MPPT connected)?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Bill avatar image
Bill answered ·

Seconded... I was having my BMV drop often from the VGXRPI and to get it back i would use the "reboot" function from the remote console. Its under settings, Its found in Setting, General then about 5 lines down is Reboot. -Bill

PS. Now for about 36 hours it hasn't dropped out. Not sure what changed as I didn't swap anything.

2 |3000

vaughancoke avatar image
vaughancoke answered ·

Let me start off by saying thank you for giving up your time to respond.

I have previously tried to power on the Raspberry Pi with the USB connected and complete the reboot from Venus OS however that has not helped. I have completed these steps again today just in case it worked, however the same result exists.

Is it as easy as just connecting the USB cable and everything should work? If so i suspect I have a faulty USB lead, or maybe MPPT. I have been using the Raspberry Pi for well over a year for another project so I know its working well. Do I need to change a setting in Venus OS/Raspberry Pi/MPPT Controller in order for everything to play nice with each other?

I've attached some images/screenshots of the setup in case someone can see something wrong.

1 comment
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Check your VE direct > usb cable with a phone/tablet with a known working OTG.

Turn of Bluetooth on the phone, plug in ve direct cable to otg, start Victron connect,, see if that works.

0 Likes 0 ·
vaughancoke avatar image
vaughancoke answered ·

I attempted what @klim8skeptic recommended however the situation remains unchanged.

I turned off bluetooth on my Pixel 3 XL and connected the VE.Direct USB Cable using a USB-C to USB-A dongle. The Victron Connect app was unable to find any devices. I then installed the USB Drivers and Victron Connect onto 2 different Windows 10 x64 machines. As the laptop only has USB-C i used the same technique as I did on the Pixel 3 XL. I checked device manager after i connected the VE.Direct cable and noticed that the VE.Direct drivers were not working. I tried the same method on my desktop machine, however this time I was using the USA-A ports and got the same error in device manager.

Below is the error. To me its looking more and more like a faulty cable

1579426593562.png (50.2 KiB)
4 comments
2 |3000

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hi Vaughan,

Check the Ports (com & LPT) in device manager. Device should be manufactured & driver by FTDI. Com port # will vary.

0 Likes 0 ·
com-port.jpg (100.2 KiB)
vaughancoke avatar image vaughancoke klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

The issue I have is that the device cannot be detected so the drivers I installed form https://www.victronenergy.com/Executables/VEConfig/CDM21216_Setup.exe are not working. When connecting the VE.Direct no new COM port is availiable.

Before connecting VE.Direct

After connecting VE.Direct

0 Likes 0 ·
1579471188892.png (37.9 KiB)
1579471217431.png (39.5 KiB)
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ vaughancoke commented ·

Hi Vaghan,

I would be having a good look at the driver, and roll it back or update it. I never downloaded a driver, windows either had it already, or successfully downloaded it automatically.

Drivers for the usb>serial converter look the same as the port (com&lpt) drivers.

0 Likes 0 ·
com-1.jpg (119.3 KiB)
vaughancoke avatar image vaughancoke klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Hey @klim8skeptic

I don't think its a driver issue to be honest. If i manually force it to use the drivers that you have I have the same outcome.

Also remember, this cable is not working on 2 different Windows 10 machines, an Android Phone and a Raspberry Pi.

I purchased this cable off eBay and I have been in contact with the seller. They are sending me a new cable as I have reported this one to be faulty. I'll let you know on the outcome.

0 Likes 0 ·