question

Edgar Graadt van Roggen avatar image
Edgar Graadt van Roggen asked

Wifi access point inadvertently disconnected on Multiplus II GX

Hi Victron Community,

I just installed a Multiplus II GX for an off-grid situation. While trying to connect the unit to the VRM Portal, I inadvertently disabled the WiFi Access Point (pretty stupid of me) before I could connect the unit to the internet. I have gone through the blogs and Multiplus II GX and Venus GX manuals, but am still not clear on how to re-enable the WiFi Access Point. The Venus GX has a reset button which re-enables the WiFi Access Point. The Multiplus II GX also has a reset button on the bottom, but the manual says on page 23 "What is the reset button used for? MCO". Not sure what that means.... Is the function of the reset button on the Multiplus II GX the same as the reset button on the Venus GX? Again, my main question is, how can I re-enable de WiFi Access Point on the Multiplus II GX?

Best regards,

Edgar Graadt van.Roggen

wifi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

8 Answers
Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image
Riaan Barkhuizen answered ·

Hi @Edgar Graadt van Roggen

You can connect your pc using a LAN cable to re-able the wifi network.

Hope this helps.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Edgar Graadt van Roggen answered ·

Hi Riaan,

OK, thank you. I will try that. Do I then type the IP address 174.24.24.1 to connect to the unit?

1 comment
2 |3000

Riaan Barkhuizen avatar image Riaan Barkhuizen commented ·

Yes that is Correct.

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Edit: I've changed this text, the reset button is really that, a hard reset. Can be useful also, but not the functionality of the Venus / octo.

2 |3000

Hi Daniel,

Thank you for your comments on the reset button on the Multiplus II GX. I tried using it, but without success. I am not sure therefore if it has the same function as the reset button on the Venus GX. besides the function, the reset button on the Multiplus II GX is recessed, i.e. you need a pin to press it, whereas the reset button on the Venus GX you can just press with a finger. But that is just a physical difference. I just wanted to make sure the reset button on the Multiplus II GX does not reset also other parameters, such as the ones I changed using VE.Configure. I guess the Manuel should be clearer about what the reset button does.

Best regards,

Edgar

1 comment
2 |3000

My apologies, I've changed my text, it is indeed a hardware reset button, the manual will be updated.

So to enable the wifi again:

-connect with Ethernet cable to a network, point a browser to it's ip-address or http://http://venus.local/ or:

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-gx:start#accessing_via_the_local_lan_wifi_network

and enable wifi again.

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much. Yes, it is clear now. Since we don't have a router on the location, I just need to set up an internet bridge connection in the laptop between the wifi adaptor en the ethernet adaptor, so I can give an ethernet connection to the Multiplus. I just figured that out, so we are all set to do the next steps using Victron Connect. Thank you again for your help!!

Best regards,

Edgar

2 |3000

Riaan,

Thank you also for your advice. It was in essence the same as Daniel´s.

Best regards,

Edgar

2 |3000

theo-za avatar image
theo-za answered ·

I had the same issue - fat fingers on my phone in the browser in the multiplus configuration and disabled wifi network. It would be useful if an 'Are you sure - you will be disconnected!!!' warning popped up when hitting the disable wifi network button.

In any case I did the following which may be useful for other MAC users

1 Ensure MAC wifi is working and connected to the internet

2 Connect MAC ethernet (in my case via thunderbolt to ethernet adaptor) to Multiplus-II

3 On MAC open Settings -> Sharing -> Internet Sharing -> Thunderbolt Ethernet checkbox ticked - this may need unselecting 'Internet Sharing' and then reselecting it.

4 Login to https://vrm.victronenergy.com/

5 Select Device List -> Gateway. The IP to open in your browser is displayed at Remote on LAN

2 |3000

alyssajm avatar image
alyssajm answered ·

Hello - I had this problem as well which I am finding difficult to resolve. I connected the Multiplus via ethernet cable, and gave the ethernet connection wifi access via internet sharing (I am using a macbook). However when I go to the suggested IP addresses for the Multiplus, nothing is coming up.

I also have an MK3-USB connection, but I don't have an "installer" password so I cannot access any settings through that. I can connect to the Victron Connect App with that and I see that everything is going fine with the system.

However I want to re-establish the connection for remote surveillance of the system.

I have a router with a SIM card that is giving internet to the house.

I would appreciate some help. It's been 3 months without the internet connection....

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic